Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Looking for advise on Using Win7 ISO DVD to upgrade ( restore) Vista laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zapfast

zapfast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:56 PM

Hello bleepers,

I have been working on an elderly neighbors Toshiba laptop.

the current specs are:

Laptop Info: Toshiba C655 3MB RAM Vista OS.

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
AMD E-240 Proc. 1.5 Ghz
3 Gig RAM
32 bit OS

This was purchased about two years ago as a Win7 computer, and it has the Win 7 Home premium sticker with serial # on the bottom.

My friend's brother for some reason installed Vista on this after he bought it.

I just spent several days ( with the help of boopme at bleeping computer ) cleaning the conduit redirect virus and several owner installed malware programs off this computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506920/i-am-trying-to-help-75-yo-neighbor-wlaptop-has-conduit-re-direct/

In that thread i was  told that the Win Vista  is corrupted and I would like to proceed by  returning  this laptop to Win 7.

( the Task manager tabs that were described as not working in the above post have magically reappeared!)

I have a copy of WIN 7 on a flash drive and I have burned an ISO DVD of it.

Also --the owner does not seem to know where any Toshiba restore disk might be found.

I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Do I click an executable on the DVD?

Do I start and hit F8 or another F# to boot from the DVD?

Do I have to do a Format first?

Ideally I would like to preserve content files, but they are all backed up on an external at this point.

I expect that any installed programs will be lost, Is that right?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone may be able to provide.

I hope I have posted in the right place here in VISTA --maybe this post belongs in the WIN7 forum --I'm not sure.

Edited by hamluis, 11 September 2013 - 06:17 AM.
Moved from Vista to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:16 AM

I would contact Toshiba, requesting recovery disks for that particular model..

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:03 AM

The link below will take you to the Toshiba website where you can order the recovery disc and driver disc.

Repair & Parts Support | Toshiba

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

if this system still has the recovery partition you could try tapping f8 and select all the "restory to factory settings" options.  More detailed instruction at the link.

http://www.geekpolice.net/t18281-toshiba-recovery-partition-hotkey-instructions

This would erase everything but what the device originally came with, but it may save time and effort in getting the disks.

Edited by wing987, 11 September 2013 - 01:08 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#5 zapfast

zapfast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thanks for the replies --- I was able to proceed with the wndows ISO that I have.

please mark this topic as closed.

I would have followed Wing987's suggestion if I had not proceeded this morning before seeing it.

Thanks again,

zapfastnet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users