Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent WiFi Connection on Brand New Laptop w/ Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 myjunoli

myjunoli

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:43 PM

Hello,

My son recently got a new Samsung ATIV Book 4 laptop and it will continuously go from being "connected" to our wifi, to "limited." It works just fine while plugged in with ethernet cable.

I have tried unplugging and replugging in the router. It works for a while then goes to limited again. I looked this problem up through search engines and someone talked about a static IP address but I don't know our router login/password.

I also saw someone talk about wireless networks in the neighborhood that may be broadcasting on the same channel but there wasn't any info on how to check/change that.

I hope someone can help. There's nothing like getting a brand new toy that won't work right.

TIA,

myjunoli

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myjunoli

myjunoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

After posting this I searched again and found a video that explained how to change the power management under configure under properties of the wifi connection that was showing limited connection (again). By unchecking the box that allows the computer to turn off the access point, the computer now leaves that function alone. But in order for it to work I needed to restart the computer (I know, an easy step that I totally forgot to do).

But it still doesn't work!!

So frustrating!

Edited by myjunoli, 10 September 2013 - 03:42 PM.

#3 myjunoli

myjunoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

Well, I think it's been fixed.

Needless to say, I am not the only person experiencing this issue and it turns out it's the Intel Centrino 6230/6235 adapter that's causing the problem. My husband found a blog post on how to fix it and so far it seems to have worked.

As per the website:

"you can revert back to Microsoft’s own driver set by selecting your Centrino adapter in Device Manager, and then uninstalling the driver and selecting the option to remove the driver files too; rebooting your PC should then automatically set you up with stable drivers."

http://www.neowin.net/news/intels-wi-fi-adapters-connectivity-issues-continue

Even though no one had helped me figure this out, I am truly grateful that there is a place like this were people, like me (computer clueless), can get help fixing computer issues. I hope this may help someone else having wifi connectivity issues.

~myjunoli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users