Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Boot Toshiba w/Win7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 peabo

peabo

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:53 AM

Been several months since i've used wifes laptop and noticed bootup time is in the 4-5min range.  I  think it's time for some house cleaning....anyone?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:43 AM

All of my laptops have taken about that long. Never bothered me. Does the system work okay once it's up and running? If it's really a problem for you just disable as many startup items as you like. You can use a small, simple, free dedicated utility such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml)

Edited by Allan, 10 September 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#3 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hold down the windows key while pressing the letter "r" and let go at the same time.. in the run box type msconfig ,, when the window loads click on the start tab..this will list all the programs that are running in the background.. use the startup tab on bleepingcomputer to determine what needs to be checked and what doesn't  then  click apply then ok and reboot your computer.. Another thing you can do is run a disk cleanup.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

DO NOT use msconfig to make permanent changes to startup items. You may use a dedicated utility such as the one I mentioned above.

#5 peabo

peabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:04 AM

I'll give that a try.....It seems ok once it's up and running.

Thanks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:13 AM

If it's okay once it's up I'd just leave it alone. What real difference does it make how long it takes to boot (within reason)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users