Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer won't read storage USB devices

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Mvldar

Mvldar

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:55 AM

Hi Guys,

I've tried every available answer I could find on the internet but to no avail.

So, I have a WIN XP SP3 computer, that detects all USB devices, but only in BIOS. When I get to Windows, the devices can not be found anywhere. It's been working fine, but I don't know, when it stopped working (it's my server, and I do backups through USB external disk), since I haven't used it for external disks for more than a year. All other devices (mouses, keyboards, card readers) work fine. External disks and USB sticks work fine in all other computers (+ as said, they're all detected in BIOS).

What I tried and figured out so far is:

- USBSTOR.sys can't be started, I get an "Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

- Changed USBSTOR.sys with new file

- Deleted upper and lower filters in registry

- Reset the registry values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb (it's 3,hexadecimal)

- Run a virus and malware scan

- Updated Windows (been up to date)

- Run the dll Suite

- Run a program, that cleans all letters assigned to external devices (and as it showed up all local as well, had to remap and reshare my RAID)

I'm loosing my mind slowly...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:19 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:54 AM

Try going into the device manager and uninstalling all the USB devices and rebooting (make sure you have the drivers in case it needs to be installed again)

#3 Mvldar

Mvldar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:34 AM

Hi Comptech72,

thanks for you reply. Been contemplating this idea as well, but the problem is, I'd have to find the original driver cd for the MB (which I obviously don't know where it is, since I wasn't doing the install) . Main thing is, that this is company's server machine with all the important data on it and I don't want to play too much with it before I do the backup ( everyday 7 people use it all the time). The RAID is a separate system, so no problem regarding loosing data, but can not afford the downtime for more than a couple of hours. So this can be done only on weekends (if things go wrong I still have 24 hours to get it back).

Any optional ideas until then?

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Try using fixit_logo.png
Microsoft Fix it: Hardware devices are not working or are not detected in Windows
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

WIN XP USB Troubleshooting:
Advanced troubleshooting tips for general USB problems in XP
USB port may stop working after you remove or insert a USB device
USB device is not recognized when you attach it in Windows XP
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Mvldar

Mvldar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

Hi Bleepin'

and thanks for reply. Tried all of the above, reinstalled the drivers as well (uninstalled, they reinstalled automatically), still doesn't work. It has to be something that I'm not thinking about since I'm quite sure that hardware is ok and drivers as well...

Oh, and that Fix it doesn't work for WIN XP.

Edited by Mvldar, 11 September 2013 - 11:09 AM.

#7 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:29 AM

Is there a updated driver from the MOBO site for USB Drivers

#8 Mvldar

Mvldar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Forgot to mention: did that.

But I noticed, that computer actually detect a USB stick, when I plug it in, as it draws power:

USB.JPG

Thought about updating the BIOS, but I think it's not needed, since it detects all external disks without a problem.

#9 Mvldar

Mvldar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:25 PM

Ok, this is weird (and a sign of malware); updated drivers again, restarted computer, when it got back on it updated the driver and at the moment it finished it reported "found new mass storage device" but then immediately stopped working as nothing happened.

I already scanned the computer. Opinions?

#10 Comptech72

Comptech72

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Have you tried downloading and running Malwarebytes?

#11 Mvldar

Mvldar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:55 AM

Tried that, quick and indepth scan, shows that computer is clean.

#12 ceajs

ceajs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

I'm not very computer literate...

I also have tried everything on the web to fix the external hard drive problems and freezing and IE crashes...

going on 15 hours and I'm tired....just about giving up...

I've used Picasa for years and I'm tired of it loosing my albums and photos...thank goodness my see old backups; although they are not updated.

I have a simpletech external hd it seems to backup but when I go to find it the file can't be seen...I've backup all night using different wording so I can look for it but this computer or IE or something won't read it..

I've used Fixit and others but nothing works...Went in and change the D drive to E or something like that...then changed to F drive...

didn't work.

I can see my old backups on the external hd but not the new ones.  Every time I've upgraded this computer goes off on its own...so auto upgrade was turned off. Now in my trek to fix my problem I find the "bleeping" computer needs an upgrade desperately....BUT when I click on upgrade it didn't complete.....Now what's going on?

Picasa duplicates all my albums and photos...I delete them and they come back again.

I deleted all from their original storage (copies) and they still come back in duplicate. It may be time to uninstall the "bleeping" program..

My Family Tree Maker is worse..

I truly believe Google is a major problem and its a shame I can't avoid it entirely...very invasive...maybe they like the problems so forums can stay busy...I use ask.com but now see that Google is everywhere.

Now that this is off my tired eyes and brain...

the questions are: where are my drives that disappear, why does Family Tree Maker freeze up on backup...where are my new backups???

Oh...I enlarged the text in "display" and it works somewhat in Picasa....what the "bleeping" is going on with our computers...Big Brother in the sky perhaps!

Hope this text is understandable...I'm tired and disgusted.

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,385 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users