I've tried every available answer I could find on the internet but to no avail.
So, I have a WIN XP SP3 computer, that detects all USB devices, but only in BIOS. When I get to Windows, the devices can not be found anywhere. It's been working fine, but I don't know, when it stopped working (it's my server, and I do backups through USB external disk), since I haven't used it for external disks for more than a year. All other devices (mouses, keyboards, card readers) work fine. External disks and USB sticks work fine in all other computers (+ as said, they're all detected in BIOS).
What I tried and figured out so far is:
- USBSTOR.sys can't be started, I get an "Error 1058: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."
- Changed USBSTOR.sys with new file
- Deleted upper and lower filters in registry
- Reset the registry values in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Usb (it's 3,hexadecimal)
- Run a virus and malware scan
- Updated Windows (been up to date)
- Run the dll Suite
- Run a program, that cleans all letters assigned to external devices (and as it showed up all local as well, had to remap and reshare my RAID)
I'm loosing my mind slowly...