Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual boot preinstalled Windows 8 and Win 7 32bit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Tom V

Tom V

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:15 PM

I have a Toshiba laptop with 64bit Windows 8 pre-installed. It only has 2GB ram so I'm not sure why they chose 64 bit Windows 8, unless it has something to with Microsoft's UEFI and Secure Boot requirements for Windows 8 machines. I have no Windows 8 installation media, because the laptop only came with a recovery partition. I also have a retail copy of Windows 7 32-bit. I'd like to install it as a dual boot option. But here are the issues...

My BIOS is set with secure boot enabled, and with the BIOS type as UEFI. I cannot boot to the 32-bit Windows 7 setup DVD unless I disable secure boot and change the BIOS type from UEFI to CSM. If I do this, I can no longer boot to my pre-installed Windows 8 OS.I know I can install Windows 8 without UEFI or Secure Boot enabled. But, like I said, I don't have Windows 8 installation media - only a recovery partition. Is there a way for me to do this? The best thing for me would be a way to create a Windows 8 setup disk from my current Windows installation, but I don't think that works with Windows 8.

Can I disable UEFI, disable secure boot, download a trial version of windows 8, set up my dual boot with Windows 7, and then use my current Windows 8 product key to activate Windows 8? Or is that asking too much? Or can I maybe contact Toshiba and ask them for Windows 8 setup media? Or I am a just stuck with either Windows 7 or Windows 8?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:51 AM

Hi

As far as i know, what you are trying to do is not possible. Yes, Windows 8 won't boot if Secureboot is disabled and Windows 7 won't boot if it is enabled ! . Most probably Toshiba is not going to give you a clean install media, they might give you a recovery media set which restores the factory condition. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users