Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk/defrag/.log & .cfg Removal

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Oima

Oima

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:06 AM

Hi Im trying to get my chkdsk to run..tried under "run" chkdsk C: /f etc etc, always says drive in use or something, then at restart the blue chkdsk screen used to come, but would stop and say cannot find volume or similar, now chkdsk doesnt work at all at restart. I have also treid the change registry thing...autocheck* etc etc... since at one point the chkdsk did not want to stop, its stoped now and doesnt want to work..lol. My windows XP Defrag isnt working either, it says that chkdsk is scheduled, please run chkdsk, so inorder to defrag my laptop I had to download a defrag prog (which works)

Heres what my chkdsk comes up with under read only mode:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\>chkdsk /v
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Deleting index entry A0124713.cfg in index $I30 of file 527.
Deleting index entry change.log in index $I30 of file 527.

Index verification completed.
Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\>

I need to get rid of the 2 (in Bold) above mentioned files...and see if i can get my chkdsk and defrag to run normal...anyone out there that can help?? All help is appreciated!!! Thanks for your time!!!

Mayank

Edited by Oima, 25 April 2006 - 10:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:15 AM

Welcome to BC! :thumbsup:

Actually, it sounds like it is working to me. You may need to add a parameter depending on what you want it to do. For instance chkdsk /f .
More info can be found HERE. Read also the 'remarks' on that article to see if it describes the causes of the troubles you are having.

PS-I would recommend against putting your email addy in your posts. This is a public forum and will occasionally be scanned by spammer's bots looking for email addys.

Edited by Albert Frankenstein, 25 April 2006 - 06:17 AM.

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:42 AM

Hey Albert !!

Thanks for your reply,

Ive been to the microsft page with all the diff parameters etc. Ive tried all of that, that applies to my case. It doesnt work. Specifiying the /f parameter etc.

Plus the two files mentioned in my original post:

index entry A0124713.cfg in index $I30 of file 527.
index entry change.log in index $I30 of file 527.

Do you have any idea of how i can correct or if i can delete these two files and how? These files are slowing my laptop down, I know this because i noticed the speed diff after i found these two files. (I had installed some prg, which prolly installed or changed these files/entries..that prog is deinstalled, but these two files have remained)

My Windows XP Defrag isnt working, whenever I try and run it, it says: chkdsk is scheduled, please run it, where chkdsk is not scheduled. I changed the registry entry to the single line autocheck* thing, if you know what im talking about, this usualy stops chkdsk or is a way to make sure that it isnt scheduled to run at restart. Plus when i did schedule chkdsk with the right parameter, it says volume ebing used, do u want it to run at restart> y/n? i type Y. then exit. when the chkdsk did work at restart it would say, NTFS Volume...locked or in use or cannot find volume..or similar, im not sure anymore. The chkdsk doesnot run at start up atall anymore!!!

Albert..anyone ?!?!? that can help me with this problem!!!
Thanks,

Mayank

#4 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:45 AM

PS: took my addy away..thanks for the tip Albert E !!! :thumbsup:

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:04 PM

When you want to run checkdisk you have to reboot for it to run.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:44 PM

You cannot run chkdsk from a command window. You must run it when Windows is not running. You can either use the repair console or tell chkdsk to run when you restart Windows from the Properties window, accessed by going to My Computer and right-clicking on the C: drive. (Assuming C: is the volume you wish to scan.) Proceed to the "Tools" tab and enable checking. Chkdsk cannot run with the /f parameter unless it can lock the drive, which cannot be done while files are open on the drive. Once chkdsk is running, it cannot be stopped until it is finished since it takes control of the system. From a command prompt in the recovery console, you can run chkdsk /f /r and it will run a complete scan, repair errors, and scan the disk surface.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:09 PM

I have also treid the change registry thing...autocheck* etc etc.

I suggest you change whatever you altered in the registry back to its default configuration.

#8 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the replies!!

I have treid all that has been recomended to me, with no positive results. This is what i get when i run chkdsk C: /f/r .. to run seek and fix all errors. It asks me if i want to schedule chkdsk at restart. i type Y (yes) then at restart, chkdsk runs but comes up with the follwing message:

Type of system is NTFS
can not open volume for direct access
windows is continuing...

(any soultions for the above??)

Through C: right click ---> properties ---> tools ---> i get an option to either run defrag or check now. with check now (XP defrag does not work, had to download an external prog) I get check disk options...automaticaly fix file system errors and scan for and attempt recovery for bad sectors. with either one or both clicked i have to restart windows...although this time nothing happens. no chkdsk (blue screen)

(any solutions for the above??)

Here is a chkdsk report i get in read only mode which is the only mode chkdsk works under:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mayank>chkdsk /v
The type of the file system is NTFS.

WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
Detected minor inconsistencies on the drive. This is not a corruption.

Errors found. CHKDSK cannot continue in read-only mode.

C:\Documents and Settings\Mayank>

The two files that need to be either corrected or deleted?? are....

anyone know how to get rid of these files?? how i can access them?? is there any external prog that i could download similar to chkdsk ???

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Mayank

#9 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:16 PM

i do reboot everytime in order for chkdsk to run.

Thanks,

Mayank

#10 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

sorry..i forgot to mention that i run chkdsk...the only way it will run and also only in read only mode.. under the DOS command window.... thats how i came up with the chkdsk report with the two errors as mentioned 2 entries above...

Thanks,

Mayank

#11 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:44 PM

Hi oima.

Just a thought - are you inserting a space before the /f and /r?

Cheers

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:05 PM

Do you have Zone Alarm? If so, which version? (right click the icon, click "About") Zone Alarm 5 was notorious for this. The new versions are in the 6.x range. If you have ZA 5, uninstall it and then run a check. This can also be caused by the disk being locked by antivirus utilities. It's possible to find out, but you'd have to disconnect it from the internet, then go into services and set any service that you suspect to "manual" instead of "automatic." The problem is that you can actually stop your computer from rebooting if something goes wrong with this.

What kind of Antivirus program are you using? Spyware Doctor 3.5 for instance?

#13 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:30 AM

Hi oima.

Just a thought - are you inserting a space before the /f and /r?

Cheers

Hi Rowall5555,

sure do insert spaces.

Thanks,

Mayank

Edited by Oima, 26 April 2006 - 02:31 AM.

#14 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

Do you have Zone Alarm? If so, which version? (right click the icon, click "About") Zone Alarm 5 was notorious for this. The new versions are in the 6.x range. If you have ZA 5, uninstall it and then run a check. This can also be caused by the disk being locked by antivirus utilities. It's possible to find out, but you'd have to disconnect it from the internet, then go into services and set any service that you suspect to "manual" instead of "automatic." The problem is that you can actually stop your computer from rebooting if something goes wrong with this.

What kind of Antivirus program are you using? Spyware Doctor 3.5 for instance?

Hi Herk,

Nope, dont have zone alarm. I do have Spyware doctor build 3.5.0.478. Is this the cause of my problem???I did stop the process totaly. I dont have it running in the background either (autostart when windows starts), since it used to take a while to load. I start it only when i need it, hence when i want to run a scan.

Actualy i have 4 anti virus progs, since every one always finds another "virus". one just doesnt do the job anymore. is this wrong?? shouldi deinstall all others and use the one im most comfortable with?

All these progs have been shut of from autostart...none of them start when windows starts. I use them like i do spyware doc, start them when i need them etc etc.

In the processes tree. would swupdtmr.exe be the process file for spyware doctor??
Should i check for all the processes (of the virus progs) and stop them? Should i deinstall spyware doc completely from my laptop?

Thanks again for all the replies!!!
Hope to get this solved soon, cause its a little annoying :thumbsup:

Mayank

Edited by Oima, 26 April 2006 - 02:49 AM.

#15 Oima

Oima
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

EVERYONE !!! :thumbsup:

Problem is solved !!

I was trying to start Spyware Doctor and it didnt let me, some error was coming up. So i decided to deinstall it. I did and my chkdsk ran automaticaly and cleaned the HD. My XP Defrag is back to normal too. My Laptop is still a little slow, Ill post a message if im stuck.

Hopefully this helps others that have the same problem as me. Uninstall Spyware Doctor. It is a good antivirus prog, but im not willing to put up with BS like this. :flowers:

Again thanks to everyone that replied & took time to help me!!

Mayank

Edited by Oima, 26 April 2006 - 06:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users