Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Download in Browsers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kinster45

kinster45

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:46 PM

Hi everyone!

Starting in the last week anything I try to download using Chrome or Firefox will just load indefinitely and never download. I tried turning off all firewalls including that of Norton 360 and MalwareBytes Pro. I next suspected it might be my download manager intercepting downloads and causing the issue so I turned off internet download manager and ended all of it's processes. Then I reset all my browsers; Internet Explorer, Chome, and Firefox. Now Internet Explorer seems to download things successful but the other two won't! I've scanned for malware using both my antiviruses but nothing came up. I'm frankly stumped here and could use some new ideas. In the meantime I've taken to downloading things by using Jdownloader. Thanks in advance for the help! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:18 AM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forum kinster45 :)

Then I reset all my browsers; Internet Explorer, Chome, and Firefox. Now Internet Explorer seems to download things successful but the other two won't!

Have you tried reinstalling each offending browser? If not, try clearing your cache files and history just in case. There might also be some addons or toolbars installed that needs to be removed or disabled. Restart browser with addons disabled.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

Pardon me...but are you stating that you are employing two firewall programs?

Are you, by chance, also employing two AV programs?

Louis

#4 kinster45

kinster45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:04 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forum kinster45 :)

Then I reset all my browsers; Internet Explorer, Chome, and Firefox. Now Internet Explorer seems to download things successful but the other two won't!

Have you tried reinstalling each offending browser? If not, try clearing your cache files and history just in case. There might also be some addons or toolbars installed that needs to be removed or disabled. Restart browser with addons disabled.

I've done that and it did not originally work. I've reinstalled a piece of two of the OS using SFC and seemingly now it's working.

Pardon me...but are you stating that you are employing two firewall programs?

Are you, by chance, also employing two AV programs?

Louis

Yes I am as much as I shouldn't be. To try and reduce conflicts I've added exceptions for both of their firewalls and files in the their respective control panels. Fact is Norton is a great tool for removing big well known malware and malwarebyte just gets almost everything except cookies.

Thanks for everyone's help it seems the problem was something in the OS and not directly in the browsers. 

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:44 PM

Windows...was not/is not...designed to have 2 firewalls working at the same time...or 2 AV programs working at the same time.

When you have two programs trying to perform the same function/job...at the same time...you create conflicts which are unnecessary and which will cause Windows to malperform.

Rather than providing more protection...your effort results in more unnecessary system problems.

I suggest you remove one each of your duplicates, run the chkdsk /r command...and see how the system functions.

Louis

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Norton 360 and MalwareBytes Pro.

Do you refer to them as firewalls and antiviruses? Must be the real-time protection conflicts with unknown downloads.

Tekken

#7 kinster45

kinster45
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Norton 360 and MalwareBytes Pro.

Do you refer to them as firewalls and antiviruses? Must be the real-time protection conflicts with unknown downloads.

That was my first guess but I removed them and that was not the problem. The problem was with missing operating system files.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:48 AM

Ok. Thanks for following up with your solution. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users