Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does Windows 8 RT work just like a desktop windows pc?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:38 PM

I'm looking at the Asus Vivo Tab and it runs on Windows 8 RT vs the Asus Transformer TF700F which runs on Android OS (jellybean 4.2).

I don't know anything about windows 8 RT so could anyone help?

Does windows 8 RT basically run and function as if it were a desktop PC only it's on a tablet using touch instead of a mouse and keyboard?

Could I basically run the same programs and do the same things I'd normally do on windows desktop PC on the Asus Vivo windows 8 RT tablet?

For example, I like to use the video editing software VIRTUALDUB on my desktop pc to edit and process files.  Could I install vdub on the windows 8 RT tablet and use the same way?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:16 AM

Ah, I found out the answer myself and the answer is NO.

Unfortunately Windows 8 RT only "looks" like a regular windows desktop PC but in fact it cannot install ANY software or programs that your desktop was using.  

#3 AdagioBoognish

AdagioBoognish

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:27 AM

Thanks for posting an answer though. I've been starting to shop around for a tablet and was wondering the same, but hadn't had a chance to look in Windows RT yet. Personally I'm leaning towards one that supports an Android OS. 

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

There are tablets, though, that can run the full version of Windows 8 on them. These include ASUS VivoTab, ASUS VivoTab™ Smart, Acer Iconia Tab, etc.

More here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=Property&Subcategory=2557&Description=&Type=&N=100013681&IsNodeId=1&IsPowerSearch=1&srchInDesc=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&OEMMark=N&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A339747&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A339748&PropertyCodeValue=449%3A347307&name=Windows-8-Tablets

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:54 PM

Ah, I found out the answer myself and the answer is NO.

Unfortunately Windows 8 RT only "looks" like a regular windows desktop PC but in fact it cannot install ANY software or programs that your desktop was using.

There is a full version of Microsoft Office for it, however. So, for many people, that will likely be enough as many people do not really use much beyond Microsoft Office, email, and browsing.

But, you are correct, Windows 8 RT does NOT run "traditional" Windows programs. It will only run "new" programs designed for the new Metro/Modern UI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users