Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long-running and infuriating lag/internet speed issues

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kryshen

kryshen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:04 PM

Not sure if this is the right thread...

So, for the past two months my household has been trying to fix increasingly annoying internet issues.

A couple background details:

We all have decent computers, I have a brand new one, the hardware should be irrelevant, since the issues are consistent among all computers here.

There are two laptops, and four computers.  Two of the computers see extremely regular use, one laptop sees regular use, the other laptop and other computers see infrequent or almost nonexistent use.

Our ISP is Teksavvy.

our internet connection is supposed to be running at up to 25mbps.

Two months ago there was a huge storm, knocked out something like 80% of a nearby city's power.  It also happened to fry a bunch of Teksavvy servers and knocked out my house's power for most of the day.

After the storm, we started experiencing lag issues, debillitating in scope.  Easiest frame of referrence is Leage of Legends which, prior to this, ran at 100-120 ping.  After it sat firmly at 600-1500ping.

Here's where it gets weird.  The internet itself didn't seem to be hugely slowed.  We could watch videos on Youtube at 720p without lag.  But we cannot stream anything live.  At all.  Torrents run at the same speed as before the issues.  Streaming websites other than youtube are unusable.

We got in touch with Teksavvy, who told us that several of their servers had been fried and they were working on fixing the problem.  They resolved the problem but we continued to have computer issues, ping stayed exactly the same.

We hypothesized it might be the router, or possibly the modem.  So we got a new one of both.  The ping issues magically went away... for 16 hours. They returned within a day at the exact same ping.

We continued to talk to Teksavvy, who then suggested that (how absurdly it might sound), they fixed the issue, but then our new router malfunctioned, or otherwise was destroyed, and that was causing the ping issue.  We tried directly connecting to the router, but to no avail.

We wiped two of the computers, thinking it might be a virus, but that had no effect.

Today, we got a new router from Teksavvy, and the ping issues went away.... for about 8 hours.  Maybe less.  We were on the internet when it started slowing down again.  We were playing LoL with a ping between 78-90, when suddenly it started to spike to 300 for maybe three or four seconds at a time, then it would go back down to 100 or so.  Not too debillitating, we assumed it was just natural fluctuations, or perhaps interference.  I unplugged other electronic devices around the router, but it only got worse.  The ping went to 200 at the beginning of a game to completely disconnecting itself by the end.  200 to 600-950, and then total collapse.

I am at a loss to explain this.  Could it be a DOS Trojan?  The internet wiring in the house itself?

We also changed the ethernet cable.

Earlier when I took a speed test our download was at 18.3 mbps and the up was 0.47, now it is at 7.52 mbps down, and 0.17 up and the ping on LoL starts at 600+

Also interesting to note is that the ping on the speedtest is 89, and on another game, say Chivalry, the ping is 120.  On Path of Exile it goes between 400 and 5000.......

I am at wit's end at this point.  If anyone, anywhere, has any idea what might be causing this, feel free to wildly hypothesize, because this is awful.

As always, thanks for the help,

-C

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mtnchick

mtnchick

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Have you checked to see if there is a firmware update on the new router?  Even new routers ship with outdated firmware sometimes.

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

Check out Ellen Roseman's column from today's Toronto Star. Big problems at Teksavvy and I don't think anyone here can help you.

http://www.thestar.com/business/personal_finance/2013/09/11/teksavvy_blames_rogers_for_slow_service_roseman.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users