Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop flooded with icons, 33000 to be exact(ish)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Soundmandav21

Soundmandav21

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

So, I was saving photos onto my desktop from a craigslist email (it was truck, nothing naughty) for the purpose of having quick access to them to rotate as the sender had them upside down, my computer seemed to freeze up some while it was pasting the photos (using ctrl "V") to the desktop and I did not think anything of.  I figured the computer would figure itself out so I went away.  When I returned to my computer it was locked up so I forced it to shut down.  Now I have approximately 33,000 copies of the truck image on my desktop and cannot get the computer to function enough to delete.  I have tried waiting for the desktop to load, then press ctrl "A" and waiting for 5 minutes for the computer to respond.  I can get the icons highlighted, I can even un-select the folders and icons I wish to save, but I cannot get the pictures to go away.  I think I am ready to wipe the darn thing, but I would like to NOT do that as I have photos and videos of my baby girl saved there that have not been backed up anywhere.  Any help or suggestions would be fantastic.  I have already run a virus scan (AVAST) and nothing shows up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Have you tried system restore ?

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:03 PM

Now, what you can do is boot into safemode. Lets boot into safemode. Turn your computer off then on and press the F8 button on your keyboard until you get a screen with black with white text that says "advanced boot options. And select "Safemode."

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#4 Zestypanda

Zestypanda

• Members
  • 603 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

Once in safemode see if your computer is responsive enough to get to your desktop. Depending on what you want to do, you can try to select all the pictures and delete/move them. Your choice.

Have a question, or just wanna chat? Send me a message. Or add me as a friend.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:31 AM

http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/deskcretary-clean-up-your-windows-7-desktop/

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Try clearing your cache files : Free Ccleaner
Ignore the Registry feature of Ccleaner as it is not recommended or needed.

Download Adwcleaner by Xplode : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
Click on Adwcleaner and hit the Delete button. Copy and paste the result on your next reply.

Scan for Malware using free Malwarebytes
Install then run a quick scan only after updating to the latest definition.Uncheck the trial pro version on setup and remove any found threats after running the scan. Please post also the result.

Edited by jhayz, 10 September 2013 - 12:36 AM.

Tekken

#6 MzLindyOne

MzLindyOne

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Try deleting in sections, not all at once.  To select multiple files but not all, click on the first file, press SHIFT and click on the last one.  Start with just a few (100?) and you can probably increase the number, to a point where you have a comfortable delete speed.  I wouldn't select more than takes maybe 10 seconds to delete at a time.

#7 Soundmandav21

Soundmandav21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I have not yet tried MiniToolBox, but I will give that a shot tonight.  Itried to delete in sections, but for some reason shift click and ctrl click did not do anything.  I was only able to get a single icon highlighted at a time...  I also was able to verify how many icons there are. I started the computer in safe mode, used task manager to close windows explorer and then started a new task to get into the desktop folder.  That way I was able to get all icons loaded smoothly.  There are 78640 copies of the icon on my desktop.  I will give the other suggestions a try and I will post the results.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:06 PM

Since what you describe is not normal Windows behavior...and you did a forced shutdown...I'd not expect Windows to function normally until a chkdsk /r has been performed.

Louis

#9 Soundmandav21

Soundmandav21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:11 PM

Louis, how do I do that?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:27 PM

Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter.  If a screen comes up and says that chkdsk cannot run now because disk is being used, that's OK.  If not, that's OK.

If screen comes up..."annot run now"...yes, you want it to run at boot.  Then reboot the system and the chkdsk /r will run.

You can also initiate the chkdsk /r command from a command prompt, How to start an Elevated Command Prompt in Windows 7 and Vista - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic309198.html .

Louis

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

1. Log in as administrator from safe mode,

2. copy the files you want to keep off the desktop to another folder,

3. Shift+Delete the desktop folder.

4. Restart machine

happiness

edit: the desktop folder with your documents will be at      "c:\users\[your username]\desktop'    not on the administrators desktop      

also; if you don't have an administrator account separate from your own just create one.

If you can't do anything (or even create an account) because your profile won't load,

1. boot in safe mode with command prompt,

2. then type     "net user administrator /active:yes"     hit enter 

3. restart the machine and then you'll see an admin logon for you , then proceed to the first steps I outlined.

Edited by TsVk!, 11 September 2013 - 12:14 AM.

#12 Soundmandav21

Soundmandav21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

So, I have not booted up my computer today to make sure everything is good, but last night I was able to jump into windows explorer before the computer bogged down trying to load all 78k plus icons and I was able to get the window into detail view.  I was able then to highlight and delete all icons, the process took a couple hours.  There were 30 gigs worth of icons stored on my desktop.  I will let you all know if the computer functions properly when I get home this evening.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:09 PM

great :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users