Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer wont do a system restore

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 nonowtatall

nonowtatall

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

my computer is working itself when i click start then programs it comes on for an instant then goes off i cannot get to see or start my programs so i went for system restore and after severall atempts on different dates it keeps telling me cannot restore whats going on am i ready to do a complete reistall to corect this

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:49 AM

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

An aside...  If you use proper punctuation it will make it a lot easier to read your posts. :thumbup2:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 nonowtatall

nonowtatall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

yes i can get into safe mode

I also use spellcheck a lot, that accounts for my punctuation :bowdown: 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

Being able to boot into Safe Mode but not normal mode can be caused by a problem with a service.  To determine if this is the problem please do the following.

1)  Click on Start> click on Run> type msconfig then click OK

The System Configuration Utility dialog box will be displayed.

2)  In the System Configuration Utility dialog box click on the General tab, then click Selective Startup.

xpcleanboot_zps1aa78561.png

3)  Click on the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

4)  Click on the Process WIN.INI File check box to remove the check mark.

xpcleanboot2_zps4cc4d741.png

5)  Click on the Load Startup Items check box to remove the check mark. Verify that Load System Services and Use Original BOOT.INI are checked.

6)  Click on the Services tab.

7)  Click on the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.

8)  Click on Disable All, then click OK.

When you are prompted restart the computer.

If the problem does not occur after you restart the computer, follow these steps:

1)  Repeat Step 1 and Step 2 except that, in step 2, click to select half of the cleared check boxes.

2)  If the problem still does not occur after another restart, click to select half of the cleared check boxes again. Repeat this process until you have selected all the check boxes and the problem still does not occur.

3)  If the problem occurs after a restart, click to clear half of the check boxes that you last selected. Repeat this process until you can isolate the one service that is running when this problem occurs.

When you identify the service which is causing this problem post name of the service in your next post.

Once this process has been completed you need to return the computer to the normal startup mode.

1)  Click StartStart button in the Start Search box.

2)  Type msconfig, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.

3)  On the General tab, click Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services, and then click OK.

4)  When you are prompted, click Restart.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 nonowtatall

nonowtatall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Hi dc3

I followed your instructions but i never did it in safe mode just as the computer is normal when i had completed your diagrams i did a system restore when it restarted again it stated restoration incomplete your computer cannot be restored to 14 August I tried a couple of times more after that and still the same should i not hit apply instead of OK

Also what is working is the start >program that now stays on but still no system restore :unsure: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users