Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing default location of Company files in QB MAC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

I recently purchased a IMAC with QuickBooks MAC installed by the seller. My company file was imported from my PC using a thumb drive.

When trying to open Quickbooks on the MAC this morning no company info. was present. I had removed the Thumb drive over the weekend.

Suspecting what may have occurred I reinserted the thumb drive and tried again.

Company info. Was all there. Looking under help / product info. I see that the file location is listed as the thumb drive. I need to move this to my HD  on the MAC.

I could drag and drop the file from the USB to my documents file on the MAC but am unsure if the MAC will look for them there or continue to look on the USB drive.

I found some Intuit sites mentioning to do a restore but their instructions are not clear at all. Also the Intuit site does not currently allow for search as it is down for repair. There is no restore button on QB MAC. Amazingly QB help on the MAC does not list any topics under restore.

I am getting the distinct impression that Intuit has purposely hobbled the QB MAC version so as not to offend MS. When you start making an export version for MAC you get a window that advise you to reconsider and continue to use Windows.

Any advice for moving my company file location from the thumb drive to the HD would be appreciated ( Also QB must know to look in the new location when opening.)

Best Regards

Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think I figured it out.

I copied the company file from the USB thumb drive to Documents on the computer. I then clicked on the copied company file Icon. QB did a back-up.

After this Iooked under Quickbooks help / product info.

File location on my computer changed from the USB drive to the Documents file on the MAC.

I safely ejected the USB stick, then quit Quickbooks and restarted it.

It opened with company info.

Seemed simple enough once I knew what to do.

Still not clear on the Restore procedure. I only need to know this for possible future reference. Everything is OK right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users