Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Desktop ridiculously slow after Windows Update, 1 hour boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 TSoutherland

TSoutherland

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 09:20 AM

Hello,

Yesterday I allowed Windows Update to install whatever it was nagging me about, this was about 6am I think.  After the restart so it could finish the installations I found that it took ages to boot back into Windows, at which point launching and using any program is sluggish to the point of nearly being unusable.  A window slowly fades in, takes about four seconds.  Firefox, which I'm using now, takes just as long to open a tab, and typing is delayed just enough that I have to wait for the sentence to catch up.  Also, Yahoo has become my default search engine, I don't know if this is directly related but it's suspicious anyway.  I work in Photoshop which is absolutely impossible at this point.  I tried restoring back to September 5th, which reportedly succeeded, but has made no change.  I wrote down the boot process this morning as it slogged past:

-7:35: Digits pop up on a black screen 98 B4 99 92 99 A2 A3 A2 A3 (seem to be the same numbers that appear, though not this slowly) It takes a few minutes to go through all of them, then it sits on A3 until-

-7:55 Goes black.  Some time after this, maybe a minute or so, the 'MSI Military Class II' logo slowly, slowly loads in chunks from the top, this takes about 30 seconds.

-8:01: Logo slowly fades to black, about 10 seconds.

-8:06: A blinking prompt appears, disappears after a few minutes, reappears

-8:12: Goes black.

-8:46: Login finally appears, I'd checked on 'No GUI' in the boot options so this is actually faster than before.  Can log in just fine, Windows comes up fairly promptly.

So, I don't know.  Is this an infection, a driver conflict, failing hardware?  I'd like to blame Windows Update but I doubt it's that easy.  I have a Window 8 upgrade that I was going to go ahead and try but my external DVD drive is no longer recognized, though it works on my old laptop.

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

Intel Core i5-2500k CPU@ 3.30GHz,

12 GB RAM

Thanks for any assistance 

-Taylor

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TSoutherland

TSoutherland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:03 PM

Update:  I restarted again, I let it install whatever updates it had lined up, presumably the same ones I reverted from.  I took out half of my RAM and turned it back on, it booted up perfectly fine and went straight to Windows without a problem.  I restarted again, put the RAM back and it's still working.  I can only assume that one of the updates installed incorrectly and it was fixed the second time around.  I'm still having issues with USB it looks like, but that's probably not an 'Am I Infected' issue.  I suppose this can be closed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users