Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recreating a system after HD failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Daytona2

Daytona2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:23 AM

My friends 2 year old Dell Inspiron suffered hard disc failure recently when it was dropped whilst booting. I recovered his documents with Quetek's Disk Recoup and File Scavenger and loaded them on to his new computer. He'd like to resurrect the old computer by putting in a new hard disk and installing Windows 7. There are no recovery discs. I've no experience of installing operating systems since the MS-DOS days so am not confident. Is what he's asking feasible ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Since this is a OEM laptop I would suggest purchasing the installation discs from Dell and installing the operating system from those discs.  There are functions which use the OEM software, so you need to use the discs made specifically for that laptop.

These discs should include the drivers, this will save you the time of going to Dell's website to download them.

Please post the model of this Inspiron.  Once I have this I should be able to provide you with a link for instructions for the use of the installation disc.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Daytona2

Daytona2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Thanks dc3 - it's a Dell Inspiron N5030.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

You can find instructions for a manual installation of Windows 7 here.

Begin with step 2. in the manually install method.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Daytona2

Daytona2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:21 AM

Thanks dc3, I'll get him to order the discs and give it a go ! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users