Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem running both word 2003 and word 2007 in XP PRO

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 esmo

esmo

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

All seems to work well except proofing in word 2007.  It defaults to a location called C;:\.......Microsoft/UProof, and I cannot change it to Microsoft/proof.  The file UProof does not seem to be on my computer.  I tried creating a new custom.dic, but it automatically defaults to UProof.  Is there any solution to this problem?   Thanks

Edited by hamluis, 09 September 2013 - 05:20 AM.
Moved from XP to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 12:40 PM

Hi Esmo.

For Word 2007, the Custom dictionary is actually stored within the UProof folder and Uproof should be there(earlier versions of Word used a different destination/folder called Proof). Uproof should be there (see below) and should contain your Custom.dic file.

The UProof folder is located at: C:\Documents and Settings\*your user*\Application Data\Microsoft\UProof

Inside the folder called UProof is the Custom.DIC file, the file type of which is called Microsoft Office User Dictionary.dic

Follow the path above to view the Uproof folder.

To view what Word is using to proof, you should go to the Office Button, select ‘Word Options’ at the bottom.
Select Proofing. Click Custom Dictionaries.

If you want to read more about How to Add a Custom Dictionary in Word, go here

#3 esmo

esmo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 04:33 PM

Hello, Stolen,  Thanks for your interest. Unfortunately, I do not have a file called UProof anywhere on my machine.  I have Proof, but that is associated with word 2003.  Word 2007 defaults to a file called UProof,which doesn't exist on this machine.  I cannot change the default destination for custom.dic in word 2007 from UProof to proof.  If I try to create a new custom.dic, it defaults to UProof, which isn't there, so no new custom.dic.  It seems to me that the best solution would be to change the UProof to proof.  Do you have any idea how this can be done?  Thanks again.

#4 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

I am concerned your UProof folder is missing, and that is why your cannot proof documents because Microsoft Office stores the dictionary in the Uproof folder, and you may have to reinstall Office.

But first, make sure your folders are not hidden by following this step:

For Microsoft Windows XP
1. Click the Start button, and then click Control Panel.
2. Click Folder Options.

mgne.jpg

3. Click the View tab, and then click the Show hidden files and folders option.

Then, copy this:

%appdata%\Microsoft

and paste into the location bar of Explorer. Press enter.

It will open a directory window and you should see the folders (one or both called Proof or UProof).

If you see the Uproof folder, you should be able to copy/paste the .dic file into the folder. Close all Microsoft Office programs and apps and restart.

*BTW, I have Word 2007 and XP Pro, and I also have both the Proof and UProof folders in my directory, but my dictionary is located in the UProof folder and I am able to view it by following the above path*

If all else fails, and no one else replies who may have a better suggestion, are you able to get Office reinstalled?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users