Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I put my modem from my old desktop Dell into my new desktop Dell

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 agedbones

agedbones

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

I just bought a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 -  I ordered one with a modem as I use a dial-up connection with my local phone company; but when the new Dell arrived it had no modem.  . . instead, it had a WLAN half mini-Card installed for Wireless.

I called Dell and they apologized for their error but wanted me to buy a router and a new modem (at my expense) so that I can get on the internet.   I don't want to buy anything furtherI  and 'm wondering if I can just put the modem from the old Dell desktop.  Will that work even though it is equipped for Wireless>? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

:welcome: to BC :)

The dial up modem is specific to your network setup only. I would return it to avoid any complications on warranty. While it is best to be on the DSL or Broadband nowadays for faster internet connection, it is then up to you to decide if you would stick with the new desktop and acquire a DSL/Cable connection or return it and stick with dial up.

Tekken

#3 agedbones

agedbones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Thank  you for your response, jhayz.    I do understand that DSL/Broadband would be more desirable for faster internet connection but right now I  want to stick with dial-up. 

I'm not sure what you mean by:   "the dial up modem is specific to your network setup only"..      

Are you saying that a problem with the warranty might occur by using the old modem that came with the old Dell into my new computer?  Or would there also be a problem if I  just bought a new modem from say Best Buy?

I probably didn't make it clear in my original posting - since right now I have no modem on the new computer - just the wireless setup - and no way to connect with the  internet I'm just trying to find a quick and easy way to solve the problem about the modem.   In a few months I will probably switch to a faster connection, so I don't necessarily want to return the new Dell if I can just, for the time being, use a modem with it?    

#4 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:56 AM

Dell may prevent you from installing any cards into the motherboard, thus voiding warranty if you do. That may be what he's referring to. If you're not worried about the warranty, then I don't see why you can't swap the old modem out, and providing your new computer has the appropriate slot to slide it into, put it into the new computer. You'll more than likely need to download the appropriate drivers for your dial up card, which can probably be found off the dell website. After the initial drivers are installed, you should be up and running with no problems.

Edited by chrisd87, 09 September 2013 - 10:57 AM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:21 AM

I just bought a new Dell desktop with Windows 7 -  I ordered one with a modem as I use a dial-up connection with my local phone company; but when the new Dell arrived it had no modem.  . . instead, it had a WLAN half mini-Card installed for Wireless.

I called Dell and they apologized for their error but wanted me to buy a router and a new modem (at my expense) so that I can get on the internet.   I don't want to buy anything further  and I'm wondering if I can just put the modem from the old Dell desktop.  Will that work even though it is equipped for Wireless>? 

Hi, My Guess is that You Did not Say Dial-Up Modem or They did not hear the word Dial-Up.

Their Advice would apply to a DSL or Cable Modem and Router.

If You ordered it with  56k modem I would make sure they supply a new one with Drivers for Your Windows version. Their may not be drivers for Your old modem.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users