Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Someone Verify My Modem Settings Are Correct

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mattbirk

mattbirk

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Long story short:

Streaming from my Xbox Live, Netflix and MLB TV and also streaming from my laptop I get disconnected throughout the day randomly and my ISP has been over three times now, and there is still an issue.

I have:

Replaced the modem
Reset my router to factory defaults (Netgear WNDR3400 v2, firmware up to date)

Changed all ethernet cables

Net connections on all coax, and traced to the pole by RCN

This started when I switched to RCN from Comcast when I moved August 1st. Ever since I moved in I have had this issue and no on seems to be able to fix it.

I have attached the log to my modem, and also the settings and stats, hoping someone can explain it to me o at least tell me if the numbers are correct.

I am supposed to get 50Mbps, speed tests all seem to be good, 30Mbps over WiFi, Xbox is hard wired, it's not an issue with speed at all. But for some reason it is getting disconnected randomly throughout the day. 

Let me know if you need more information from me.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 01:34 PM

Have you tried hooking your laptop directly to the cable modem (i.e. no router) and see if that helps at all?

That could help us determine if the router is the problem or if it is a general connection issue.

#3 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:17 PM

Yes, I have. The tech was out this Tuesday, and replaced one of the lines outside. I live in an apartment complex with a bunch of cable connections, and he replaced some stretch of the cable, though it wasn't from the pole to inside, I know that. I didn't understand what he replaced, but there's a ton of cables, it's an apartment in Chicago near a college so a lot of moving, adding/removing service has gone on in this building.

It seems to be working better now, though I think I'm having latency issues...I will continue to monitor/speed test/etc and see what happens.

Have you tried hooking your laptop directly to the cable modem (i.e. no router) and see if that helps at all?

That could help us determine if the router is the problem or if it is a general connection issue.

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:41 PM

From the sound of your issue, I was basically assuming that your best bet was to be talking to your ISP.  Unfortunately, that is usually a real pain in the rear and an exercise in frustration.

I am glad it seems to be better after the tech visit.

#5 mattbirk

mattbirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yea, they have been out 4 times as of their last visit...hopefully it is resolved! Thanks again!

#6 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yea, they have been out 4 times as of their last visit...hopefully it is resolved! Thanks again!

No problem. Like I said...a pain in the rear. I can think of tons of thing I would rather do than call my ISP customer service. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users