Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my iPod infected? :( plz help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

I saw that someone asked if the iPod can get infected?? I didn't think that could be possible, it seems like such a basic little device. I don't think of it as a computer. But mine is not working at all. 

Will i have to go find another one to buy?  Apple does not even make it anymore, and I will have to buy one from Amazon or somewhere. I cannot do without this one...i wear it like a watch. :(

It is an iPod nano 6th gen. 32gb

It stopped working yesterday.  It had a white screen I have never seen before that looked like this:

m7dw.jpg

and BTW...that screen is ridiculous...i have never seen it before.  It does not look like that when it is hooked up to iTunes normally and time to eject.  and that white screen is also turned sideways from the normal orientation. 

This iPod is a touch screen, but these weird screens (images here) do not respond to touch.

I had synched a few days ago (which did not work properly meaning it wiped away all my existing music and only added the new music files but that is probably just a setting).

I think the device got confused and thinks it is still synching to iTunes or something. But I don’t know…it’s just not working.

The computer recognizes the device when I plug it in.

I opened iTunes, plugged in, and it does not show up in iTunes.  I tried to get it to recognize by holding down power button when plugging in with iTunes running, and nothing happened.

I then unplugged.  Pressed both the power button and the top volume button at the same time.  I saw the apple splash, then the following screen which I have also never seen before.

4a6a.jpg

That IS the correct orientation, and that screen goes off after about 10 minutes, and here is what the screen says/shows (because the image is a bit blurry)…

A vertical line on the left with an asterisk at the top of the line and at the bottom a money symbol and another asterisk. 

On the right, the words, numbers and symbols say this:

tuobA

leccA

lenaP hcuoT

yromeM

MF

DCL

ti0 VT

etomeR

oiduA

rewoP

ybdnatX >

there is a horizontal line of dashes at the bottom and then underneath:

Vm 1663 :egat toV

)2340A4( xofwonS 02N

Really HELPFUL, Apple.  I hope it's something simple and i just need to know how to reset but if anyone has suggestions...would really appreciate it. I will be gone this afternoon but will look back and see if anyone can tell me what to do or what you think.

Is this screen just some kind of code inside the device? ughhhh :(

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I can't even...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hi stolen!

Sorry to hear about your iPod crash...I would feel the same way if my stereo receiver went. Did you try any of the Apple forums? I really don't think you have an infection on your iPod...that only happens when you break them in order to bypass iTunes.

What you can try, if you haven't come across any info thru Apple, (and No! no rolling pins, that will kill the unit for sure) is what my son did to get his Zune back after he left it in his car overnight in sub-freezing temps (and not once but twice...). What he did, which he read in a Zune forum, was to turn the unit on and let the battery go dead...totally dead...then he re-charged it and it was as good as new. Now I know he has a Zune and you an iPod...but we do know how Gates just loves to "borrow" from Apple and if you can't get an answer to your problem, it sure is worth a try...and beats a rolling pin...

Good Luck!

#3 Stolen

Stolen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:51 PM

@battyhippie HAI!

Thank you so much. Can you believe...anyway, i do have 2 Apple stores nearby if nothing can be done. I did not think of doing what you said, so will try the dead battery thing first.

I think that is an excellent suggestion, i will let you know! and if i get a resolution, i will post it here...

laterzz

:)

#4 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:24 AM

You are welcome! If I can get my son from out under a car.. ha ha ..or a junkyard...I'll have him take a look at the post...his friends have iPods although most kids today stream their music thru their phone.

Good Luck!

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:49 PM

I would say that I am about 99.999999(and lot more 9s)% sure it is not an infection. It is likely just either a hardware failure or software corruption.

If a "reset" of the iPod does not help, then your best bet is likely to make an appointment at an Apple Store and take it there.

FWIW, Amazon does still have some 6th gen models available it appears. They appear to be only 8 GB models, however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users