Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sound crackling

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:42 PM

Hi everyone,

For the past few months I've had a problem on my desktop PC, where for seemingly no reason after a few hours of being switched on, the sound will start crackling.

I'm using windows 7 service pack 1 as my OS, and at first i thought the problem was with windows but now I'm not so sure, as the crackling will also happen on my VM using win 7 pro, and also Ubuntu (the only 2 OS installed on my VM).although they are set to use the host audio.

I then began thinking it must be my speakers so i checked the connections, which seemed fine and them plugged in some headphones to listen for the crackling through them, and found the crackling was also happening throught the headphones so this must discount it being a problem with the speakers.

The crackling sound can best be described as like the sound of when one plays an LP and it kind of crackles at the start. It can get worse than that at times though where it will pop and can distort the music.

The crackling happens when i play youtube video's or if i listen to internet radio, or use Winamp or Windows media player, and sometimes even with windows system sounds such as when you click to go into a folder.

I'm using Realtek high definition audio and recently updated the drivers hoping this would fix it, to no avail.

So basically guys, i have no idea where to go from here, and was hoping people with far more knowledge than me could help me out, if you can I'd be eternally grateful.

Thanks

Lee :)

Edited by Shinobi_32, 08 September 2013 - 04:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:40 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer Community shinobi

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Hi jhayz,

Thanks for the welcome and for getting back to me.

Here's the info you asked for:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/dgARM3V18Emduu3aJsp3EJF

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Have you tried updating your BIOS, chipset, video and audio drivers? See here

Edited by jhayz, 09 September 2013 - 06:38 PM.

Tekken

#5 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Have you tried updating your BIOS, chipset, video and audio drivers? See here

Yes all drivers are up to date according to various software i have. As for bio's, I've already contacted Foxconn and they told me that they don't have the bio's for my motherboard as it's a custom built one for HP and I'd have to contact them, but from what I've read on forums i doubt i can get them. I'm not even sure they exist.

I don't think it's anything to do with bio's though. I think the clue is that it takes a few hours of the PC being turned on before it starts.

I ordered some high quality speakers today so we'll see if that makes any difference. I don't think it will though as it can affect the headphone too.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:22 PM

Try turning off audio enhancements or effects in your Audio Playback  for Speakers and Headphone Properties.

Tekken

#7 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 05:34 AM

Try turning off audio enhancements or effects in your Audio Playback  for Speakers and Headphone Properties.

Tried this already, but didn't help. I also have other audio software installed called Breakaway audio enhancer (now un-installed) which replaces Realtek hi-def audio but the crackling still happens. It's a mystery whats causing it :scratchhead:

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:47 AM

Can you try using the Windows drivers instead? Remove the audio drivers then reboot and let windows detect your Realtek audio.

Tekken

#9 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

Can you try using the Windows drivers instead? Remove the audio drivers then reboot and let windows detect your Realtek audio.

Good idea, hadn't thought of that :) I'll do that now and let you know how it goes.

My new speakers should be arriving in the next couple of days too.

EDIT: OK tried uninstalling and reinstalling audio drivers, but no joy.  The crackling continues.

Edited by Shinobi_32, 12 September 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:27 PM

The motherboard Foxconn OEM for HP seems to be out of support as the G41 chipset is the only available driver on HP site. The chipset is G41 and is available on Foxconn such as this link. There is also an intel chipset driver at Intel for supported operating system. Were looking at a hardware or software problem at this point.

Tekken

#11 Shinobi_32

Shinobi_32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:00 AM

The motherboard Foxconn OEM for HP seems to be out of support as the G41 chipset is the only available driver on HP site. The chipset is G41 and is available on Foxconn such as this link. There is also an intel chipset driver at Intel for supported operating system. Were looking at a hardware or software problem at this point.

Hi jhayz,

Just writing this post to thank you for taking the time to help me and to let you know it seems I've fixed the issues I've been having.

The problem i had was with high DPC Latency, and to try to find what was causing this i followed this guide.

http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-|-windows-vista-tutorials/5721-how-diagnose-fix-high-dpc-latency-issues-wpa-windows-windows-vista-7-8-a.html

After following that tutorial to the letter and speaking to the tech guys over their. It seemed my problem was possibly network related, so as basically a hunch, i decided to uninstall my internet security software. After doing this i checked the first program (DPC Latency Checker) again from the link above and lo and behold the latency looked great.

Here's the before and after images:

Before

http://i.imgur.com/4NZ3qlV.jpg

After

http://i.imgur.com/C81P3zE.jpg

I should also add that the after image is also with new and different internet security software installed.

So as i said, just though I'd let you know and maybe also this info will be helpful to future lurkers.

Thanks again

Lee :)

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Somehow dpc latency checker came up on audio crackling solutions due to resource hogging on particular software installed. :) Thanks for sharing back and posting your solution. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#13 Saltidae

Saltidae

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 13 April 2014 - 10:29 PM

I had the same or similar problem on my wife's computer running XP.    

The problem turned out to be the multipass service for an old Canon CFX -L3500IF multifunction printer/fax/scanner.    As soon as the service was stopped the problem went away.

Sorry if wrong forum but the same problem so maybe someone else will benefit from my solution.     This forum got me onto  the right track.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users