Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Folder option missing.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 hamguy73

hamguy73

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Hi,

I have a HP desktop computer loaded with Windows 7 Home Editon and all of a sudden when I right click on a blank spot and the menu that opens and shows "New" no longer shows "Folder" as an option, but instead has "Briefcase" and "compressed (zipped) Folder, but no "Folder".

This one has stumped lot's of experts, and before i have to wipe out every thing on my computer and reload Windows 7, does anyone have any idea of what happened to "Folder"?

Thanks for any help,

hamguy73

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

hamguy73

In your post introducing yourself you mentioned accidently having that "lyric?" junk installed on your computer.

That stuff usually gets installed when you download some program, and do not uncheck the boxes asking if you want that junk installed also.

If you remember recently downloading something, that may be where that "lyric" junk came from.

Now,you may be able to get your "folder" option back by simply doing a "system restore" to a restore point prior to when you downloaded whatever brought you that "lyric" junk.

Hope this helps you out!

Edited by GB2064, 08 September 2013 - 12:47 PM.

#3 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:58 PM

GB2064

Thanks for your help and advice. I just did a system restore to the oldest date on file and unfortunately it didn't go back far enough to bring back "folder" to the system. I guess now there isn't much I can do except reload Windows 7,which I really am not eagar to do, so I'm going to hold off and maybe someone will come up with a solution so that I don't have to.

hamguy73

#4 GB2064

GB2064

• Members
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:01 PM

Good idea!

:thumbup2:

I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some more advice.

Edited by GB2064, 08 September 2013 - 04:02 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,737 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

This is a new one on me, but if you go into 'Windows Explorer' or 'File / Save as' do you still have the 'New folder' option there ?

Chris Cosgrove

#6 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Try Linda Yan's folder fix.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/9ee6ecdf-5958-4af4-b640-c659ada57bc4/option-to-create-new-folder-on-desktop-is-missing

#7 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

I really appreciate all of the response that I've gotten on this problem guys.

Someone asked if I was missing the folder file from Documents/Files also, and the answer is yes.

I went to Linda Yan's page as directed, clicked Start, typed  regedit and then clicked regedit in the progrm list. just saw "Hkey_Classes_Root so I clicked on that and then it said for Value (Default) " Value not set"

So what do I do now? Do I try and enter the default value in Linda's post?

hamguy73

#8 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

The value should be {D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719} . If that is not set for the default, then please set it to that value, and see what happens.

Edited by chrisd87, 09 September 2013 - 12:30 PM.

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

#9 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:12 PM

Thanks for your help, Chris, but something is not right.

I go to Start, type "regedit" and the programs list window opens above the Search Bar and it has "regedit" in there so I click on it and Registry Editor opens up with a whole bunch of files listed alphanumericly on the left side. So I go looking for "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\New, but I don't find it, so I go back up the list to "Directory" and click that to see what happens and it then opens up another list so I look for shellex but it's not there.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again for any help.

hamguy73

#10 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

So when you do the above steps you don't get something like this?

Capture-6.jpg

What do you see when you do the above steps?

#11 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:38 PM

Yes, I get that but it only shows up to "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory"  I can't get to the next item which is "Background"

hamguy73

#12 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:30 PM

Every time I do the "regedit" thing I get a different results. This last time it opened up Registry Editor window, and at the very bottom of the box or window it said "Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT"  so I looked in the left side of the window and there is an alphabetical listing so I skrolled down to "Directory" and clicked on that, but it didn't open up the rest of the string per what Linda Yan's instructions, but it did enter it in the string at the bottom of the window, so I proceeded to then find "Background" the next phase in the string, and when I clicked on it, it replaced the Directory in the string at the bottom rather than add it to it.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Hamguy73

#13 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:57 PM

As I said in post above this one, every time I do the regedit i get a different results. This last time it worked and I got the entire string and the Default string is just as required: D969A ETC, ETC. SO  then I tried the second suggestion HKEY_CLASSSES_ROOT\Folder and that opened up, I right clicked and selected "Export" and that opened up a save window in my documents but it asked me for a name and I didn't know what to enter. And also it says to go "my skydrive".

Don't you have to sign up for skydrive? anyway I didn't see it listed so I thought I would ask before I mess things up.

#14 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

First, see if the default value fix worked before you do the sky drive method. It's an alternative method and is not required if the first method worked. Also on a side-note are you able to make a new folder by holding Ctrl + Shift and pressing n on the keyboard? By doing that in an empty spot, it should create a new folder for you and prompt you to type a name in.

Also I just found this that might be of use.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/28677-new-context-menu-remove-restore-default-menu-items.html

Please click on the folder zip #5, and then follow the instructions "steps 11-16."

Edited by chrisd87, 09 September 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#15 hamguy73

hamguy73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 10:59 AM

The default value was there all the time, once I found how to find it, and so it didn't help get the Folder back, so then I tried the "sevenforums.com" link above and downloaded the Folder file, clicked on Add Folder and rebooted and now I have my Folder back. Thank you thank you thank you Chris. You don't know how much I appreciate your help. You saved me from having to reload Windows and go through all of the frustration that involves. What a great site this is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users