Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB owners; questions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 videobruce

videobruce

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:36 AM

Sorry I couldn't come up with a better title, but it would of been too long.

Situation: New build;
ASRock 990FX Ext 4 MB,
Will be running Win7,
Two drives transfered over from nForce 570 MB as is,
New SSD & 1TB HDD, neither formatted,
All drives SATA,
MB is set for AHCI for all ports.

Questions;
1. Can individual SATA ports be disabled?
2. In the UEFI interface (BIOS) under Storage, there is a external eSATA port option to enabler or disable the SATA ESP for each of the six SATA ports. What is that suppose to mean?
3. I enabled the "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" option, but I see no difference during boot.?
4. Is there the ability to use a conventional old school BIOS instead of UEFI?

Now here is the kicker;
When I connect either to ports 7 or 8 which uses a Marvell controller, both have been able to boot into XP by themselves. I though this was impossible unless you radically modify them to do so. But when I switch either over to ports 1-6, the BIOS sees them, but both produce a BSOD as expected (until now on the other controller). How can this happen??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:40 AM

I don't have the ASRock 990FX, but I do have an Asus 990FX so I'll take a shot at this...

1.  SATA can be hot plug capable, so the ports are usually on at all times.  I'm not sure if you can shut down individual ports, if you can, it would probably be in the BIOS somewhere.

2.  After searching the web, I think SATA ESP allows you to switch internal SATA ports to external SATA ports.  I think this may allow you to get the Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog.  This may make it easier to hot swap.

3.  I think "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" boots the system in ACHI mode if enabled.  If enabled, it should display drive status.  Here is where I got the info.

4.  No, but there may be an "Advanced Mode" that loads a screen similar to an old school BIOS.

3939.png

#3 videobruce

videobruce
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure if you can shut down individual ports

Apparently they can't which apparently seems to be a UEFI problem. So much for new and improved. :ranting:

I think SATA ESP allows you to switch internal SATA ports to external SATA ports.

I came to the same conclusion. Of course it would be nice if it was described better. After 13 years of messing with this stuff, these people still can't provide proper information regarding BIOS functions specially when it comes to something new.

I think "AMD AHCI BIOS ROM" boots the system in ACHI mode if enabled.

Apparently it has to do with RAID operation. It brings up additional screens according to a Gigabyet MB manual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users