Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard trouble

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Ive started to fix an old no name computer with Gigabyte GA-7VM400M motherboard, BIOS WP. Ive replaced the power supply and recapped a half dozen elektros. It fired up but the mouse didn't work until I downloaded the FD bios mouse fix for it but I cant get the keyboard to work so that I can get into the bios? Ive tried F2, F8,delete,Esc on startup to no avail. It has the old style mouse/keyboard connections.The original HDD didn't come with it so I'm using one with XP on it that wants to be activated so seeing as I cant do that I want to install a copy of Ubuntu 10.10 that I have for it.Any ideas on how I can do this or am I wasting my time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:15 PM

You could try clearing the bios and see if that helps.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Do You have a USB keyboard You can try with the computer?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:07 PM

I tried a USB keyboard with the same result, I looked for the 3 CMOS pins to reset it but all I found was a blank section were the pins should have been? Very strange,anyway I took the battery out and pressed the power button and waited a few minutes to make sure and now it wont boot up! Its on a page now that says CMOS checksum error- defaults loaded? The boot order is Primary master:Lite- on LTR-52327s. primary slave:none.Secondary Master:WDC WD5000AAKB. Secondary Slave none. System health OK.  Memory test OK

#5 JHMcG

JHMcG

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

That is not how I clear the bios. What I do if there are no bios clearing terminals, is take the mobo battery out, (with ALL power shut off), and either leave the mobo battery out for 24 Hours, (to drain capacitance), OR short the mobo battery terminals together. i.e. connect the negative to the positive for a few seconds to drain capacitance. Then once that is done, replace the mobo battery in it's socket, THEN boot up the machine.

Edited by JHMcG, 09 September 2013 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users