Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows keeps restarting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 techman7

techman7

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

Operating system: Windows XP SP3

Everytime it reaches the "windows xp" sign, it automatically restarts.

I tried to boot from the windows CD so I could format and re-install the OS, but soon after it says "setting up windows" (before I get the option to format the disk), I get a blue screen and the computer freezes.

The last time I was able to succesfully start my computer, I got two error messages. They said that windows found a problem with the registry, but was able to fix them. I didn't think much of it at the time, and the next time I restarted, the problem started occuring.

2pq9ssz.png

Edited by techman7, 08 September 2013 - 07:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

STOP 24, NTFS Errors...can be a file problem, a NTFS, problem, or a hard drive problem.

System manufacturer and model?

You have a MS Genuine XP cd?  If so...insert it.  Enter the BIOS and change the boot order so that the first boot device is the optical drive, save changes by hitting F10.  You can then use the Recovery Console to run the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 09:09 AM

You can stop the automatic restarts by following these instructions.  After pressing the power button immediately start tapping the F8 key, if this is working properly it will take you to the Advanced Boot Options where you can click on Disable auto restart on error.  You will need to use the up or down key to navigate to this option, once there click on Enter. If the STOP: error is not the 24 seen in your first post please post it here.

If you are going to use the Recovery Console you can find detailed instructions at the Microsoft Support website.

Edited by dc3, 08 September 2013 - 09:25 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 techman7

techman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 11:50 AM

This is the most I know about the computer specs.

2evq4wz.jpg

When I tap the F8 key on startup, I get the option to boot from CD or the harddrive.

I don't think the CD is genuine, my friend burned the OS onto it.

#5 techman7

techman7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 01:13 PM

Bump.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 14 September 2013 - 04:42 PM

<<I don't think the CD is genuine, my friend burned the OS onto it.>>

Well...you need a Genuine XP CD to install the O/S safely.  An illegal CD presents the possibility that malware is included. depending on the source of the files.

Dc3 posted instructions as to how you can attempt to overcome the STOP 24 error.  You need to investigate that...before doing anything else.  If the hard drive is bad, reinstalling will just be a futile effort/waste of time.

You haven't supplied a lot of information for anyone to work with.

Do you have a valid license for Windows XP on that system?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users