Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Source Connector issue

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whitepawn

whitepawn

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 01:53 AM

This is a pure mechanics issue.  I ordered a new power source to accomodate my new graphics card, then after looking at the set-up realized I could both unplug and plug things in on my own so I installed it.  Both the power source and the graphics work great, no issues...but I cannot close the tower.  I have to leave the bottom part open a crack to accomodate the HD connection.  It's fine if the tower stays put, but not ideal.  I would like to order a replacement, I have another computer that can use this power source, but I have no idea what to look for in order to find these specfic connectors on the new power source I would like to order.

My old power source had these connectors on the HD and the disc drive:

RsyzUYgl.jpg

What I have with the current power source is this:

4KpxJISl.jpg

So, what I'm asking is: what do I need to look for in the Power Source description to assure that I receive a product with the first connectors.  I don't even know what those two different connectors are called.  I need the first style of connector so I can close up the tower.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thisisu

thisisu

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

Did you replace the HDD too? Although I can't get a good look at the first picture, both look like SATA connectors to me. 

More importantly though, and this alone will probably fix your problem. You should be able to reverse the direction that the HDD goes into the HDD bay. This way, you would have the SATA connectors plugged in from the opposite end of the tower door.

Edited by thisisu, 08 September 2013 - 03:36 AM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 AM

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi, I've had the same problem as You in the past. I am showing what I used below.

What it looks like to me is that Your current power supply has SATA power going to the hard drive. These will have a flat slot that plugs onto the hard drive for power.

Your Old Power supply had right angle connectors. You could just order something like this and keep using the power supply you have installed. Notice that these are called extensions. Not all extensions will work, You need to look at them. This one takes One SATA and turns it into two that have right angle connectors.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812189190

12-189-190-06.jpg

here is another place, http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=49699&sk=MC71419&gclid=CL_6r86wvrkCFQyk4AodVRgAvw

Warning! Please read this first.
Be careful with this link, I have never used them and am showing it as an example only.

I searched using this in Google to find these. "SATA power extensions"

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 September 2013 - 08:11 AM.
Additional Content & Spelling

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users