Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

YouTube issues

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bassboy965

bassboy965

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:53 PM

I recently got Century Link internet service installed and ever since then, youtube videos have not been loading with out a ton of work. if i reset the browser a couple times and refresh the page the video will load, but only sometimes. I am using Google chrome and am sure that it is up to date. i have tried disabling adblocking software without any difference. i also tried downloading a new browser. IE is ridiculous so i got Firefox (which has never been on my computer but i am fairly familiar with) and tried it. Same problem. the page loads totally fine and actually pretty quick for the download speed i have (usually about 16Mbps download and 700Kbps upload). i have gone into appdata folder and deleted the "default" folder in google chrome (once in a while that helps on the other computers i work on at the office). I updated my router's firmware and have reset it multiple times over the past few weeks.
i have two other computers on the same network and neither of them have this issue. I can view videos on Netflix just fine i can even view videos through a different website without problems regularly.
As a last resort today i full factory reset my computer using the advanced recovery option to "Return your computer to factory condition."    Same problem still happening.
Somebody has got to be able to help me out, right?

-My system::
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium :: Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard :: System Model: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD A8-4500M APU with Radeon™ HD Graphics, 1900 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Available Physical Memory 3.80 GB
Available Virtual Memory 8.37 GB

Router: Netgear WNDR3800
Modem: Centurylink ZyXel PK5001Z

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2013 - 11:33 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 04:25 AM

Based on your description, your problem is with Flash. I suggest you try a different viral video site like Daily Motion to see if the problem is just with Youtube or with Flash in general. FYI, Netflix doesn't use Flash. It uses Microsoft Silverlight.

http://www.dailymotion.com/

#3 bassboy965

bassboy965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:28 PM

Daily motion videos work fine. i tried a bunch of different ones. a couple on the home page and then some from a search as well and they all loaded really quickly and didn't have to wait to buffer or anything. The first video i tried on Youtube took about a minute then it loaded like 15 seconds and stopped. then the next video loaded fine.  then the third video i tried didn't load at all. after about 2 minutes it pops up and says "An Error Occurred, Please try Again Later." 

Do you think the fact that flash player is integrated into Chrome plays into this at all? It doesn't have this problem on my other computer running the same version of Chrome...

Edited by bassboy965, 08 September 2013 - 03:30 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:12 PM

Ouch !  Doing a full recovery was a bit drastic, but yes, that means that you have set it back to 'ex-works' condition. Which also means you have set all the software back to the date your computer had its operating system installed.

Apart from a ton of Windows updates coming your way, you will probably be as well paying a visit to the Adobe web-site - www.adobe.com - and downloading the latest version of Flash. Note that there are at least two versions of Flash - one for Internet Explorer and one for Firefox and other browsers. Check that you get the correct one. Once you are on the Adobe web-site and have selected your geographic region, you will find the link to Flash about halfway down the page on the right hand side.

I only use Chrome very occasionally, mostly for checking how my web-sites display in it, but on Firefox, if anything YouTube runs slightly better than Daily Motion on my computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:31 PM

Daily motion videos work fine. i tried a bunch of different ones. a couple on the home page and then some from a search as well and they all loaded really quickly and didn't have to wait to buffer or anything. The first video i tried on Youtube took about a minute then it loaded like 15 seconds and stopped. then the next video loaded fine.  then the third video i tried didn't load at all. after about 2 minutes it pops up and says "An Error Occurred, Please try Again Later." 

Do you think the fact that flash player is integrated into Chrome plays into this at all? It doesn't have this problem on my other computer running the same version of Chrome...

It could be Flash settings in Youtube. Right click on the player and go into Flash settings and untick Enable Hardware Acceleration. That could work.

#6 bassboy965

bassboy965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

no dice. i turned the local memory up from 100kb to unlimited. I also disabled hardware acceleration (which was on when i got to the settings screen) then restarted the browser with no change.

I toggled that a few times just to see if one was better or not.

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:36 AM

One possibility is to uninstall and reinstall Chrome. That seems solve a lot of Chrome problems.

#8 bassboy965

bassboy965
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:42 AM

after a full factory reset of the computer? Chrome is brand new on this computer, what does re-installing Chrome actually do from a troubleshooting stand point if i've tried it on different browsers and the same problem happens?

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

The only other thing I can think of is possibly Youtube settings and I have never had to change them. So I don't know what you would have to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users