Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seems clear we have a bad malware problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

#1 deskahn

deskahn

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Our computer has been taken over. something keeps popping up offers and directions to download updates. I think I was taken in by an instruction to update our java program. But even before that, our free Avira program had been deactivated. Our toolbar was taken over by something else. A set of directions from Bleeping Computer instructs us to start in Safe Mode and update our AV software, but when I start in Safe Mode Networking, the Avira update attempt responds with amessage that it ws denied access. On our other computer, I downloaded a 275 MG rescue program from Avira and burned it on a CD, then booted the problem computer from that disk. It went through some tests, then it says a file is infected, and tells me to hit OK to stop the program; then a DOS-like screen comes on and seems to do nothing, saying "root@RescueSystem:/#" THis screen also says to return to the graphical interface, hit Alt7, but this does not work. At the top of this screen is the heading, "Avira Rescue System".  Not sure what to try next. Des Kahn

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 61,201 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:54 AM

Hello,

Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then post them in a reply to this topic by using the Add Reply button.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the post and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the reply and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

Please note that I am not a member of the Malware Removal Team and will not be assisting you in removing the infection. I'm simply helping you to post the information they need in order to assist you.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#3 deskahn

deskahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Elise, for your reply. I downloaded and ran dds and attached the two files to this post. Since my original post,I used system restore and the computer is usuable, but we still have way too many popups trying to get us to update and download. Any help would be much appreciated. Des Kahn

Attached Files

#4 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,201 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2013 - 02:29 AM

Hello,
There is a good amount of adware present, lets get rid of that first.

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click on Search. When done click on the Report button.
  • A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
  • Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
  • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[R1].txt as well.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

#5 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• 61,201 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2013 - 09:32 AM

Due to the lack of feedback, this topic is now closed.

In the event you still have problems, please send me or any Moderator a Private Message and ask them to reopen this topic within the next 5 days.

Please include a link to your topic in the Private Message. Thank you.

regards, Elise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users