Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inconsistent Wireless Connection?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 snipersgethead

snipersgethead

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Hello, so I just moved into an apartment complex where the Internet has been barely usable at best. When I first moved in, the average DL speed I got was 1 Mbps and UL speed was .5 Mbps using Speedtest.net.

I then used inSSIDer to check to channels being used in my complex, and it turns out I was on the most occupied one. Switching to a more vacant one, it definitely showed some improvement. Now I can actually hit 10 Mbps DL which is much closer to my cap of 15 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up.

Well it turns out lately the quality of connection has been diminishing. Sometimes it will work okay, other times it either won't connect or drop to 1 Mbps down and 0.2 Mbps up. I checked my channel again, and it's still not too occupied. I also live with 3 other people, but I was told I shouldn't be having too much of a difference in speed. Besides, the most they do is watch/stream videos or music.

Being connected by ethernet cable through the router gives me a consistent DL speed at my cap though. My provider thinks it's a hardware problem with the router so they'll be changing it out soon. Obviously, I could just keep a wired connection, but since the router is in the living room it's not a practical option for me.

I was also advised into purchasing a wireless repeater. I'd be willing to pick one up if people think it would really help as I could see it being a good long-term investment. If there's any other advice people could give about a wireless repeater or any general tips about my situation I'd appreciate it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Signal boost using wireless repeater would help solve your problem but as we know rebroadcasting signal cuts half the normal speed. It is better to run another wired router access point or as some have suggested using power line adapters.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users