Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network 2000 Pro/me Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Llynm

Llynm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:13 PM

Hello.

I posted this in the wrong place, so am re=posting here.

I just set-up a new HP 6940 on my wind. 2000 system. My husband and I are networked. He wants to use MY printer. I set-up with the ethernet cable but I can't figure out how to get his computer to recognize it. PLease help!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:46 PM

If you are connected directly to his computer, not thru a fouter or hub, you will need a crossover cable not a patch cable.
Exactly how is your LAN configured?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Llynm

Llynm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 07:19 PM

We have a Netgear router. As far as the network config, not sure. How should it be configed for this to work?
Thanks!

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:49 PM

On your computer got to Start>Control Panel>Network Connections>Local Area Conection>Properties. Enable "Printer and file sharing". This will allow your husband's cmputer to have access to your printer(s). This however this leaves your coputer open to attack in the event your husband's computer is infected by virus/trojans/malware. A better option is to install a prit server. Once installed it will plug into your router just like your computers. Far more secure and you don't have to leave your computer on for him to access the printer. I have a 3 port print server which has one inkjet, one laser, and a dot matrix printer.

Examples:

USB wired

Parallel wired

Parallel 2 port wired

USB wireless

Parallel wireless

You did not mention if you were wireless or not. Sorry for the overkill.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users