Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do I need my Product key???

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 trickshot63

trickshot63

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:07 PM

I apologize for reposting this, but I can't seem to find my old post. My situation is I have a laptop with a bad hard drive. I am gonna replace the hard drive and order recovery disks from HP. My problem is, my product key sticker on the back of the laptop is worn, and I am wondering if I order the recovery disks from HP will they install without me having to know my product key? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

Short version is you will need your product key. You can use http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ to find your product key. Write it down and keep it in a safe place. Then when you have your new drive and recovery disks you'll have your product key ready to go.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:22 PM

My hard drive is bad, I can't retrieve my product key in that manner.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,775 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:34 PM

Sorry I misunderstood 'bad'. So you have a failed hard drive. If you registered your OS 'may' be able to contact Microsoft and see if they will provide the information. Not sure where you are located but you should be able to Google the right country and support contact info.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 trickshot63

trickshot63
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:50 PM

USA. Doing this for someone else. I'll check and see if he registered it. Thanks

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

The topic can be found using the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/506621/gonna-replace-hdd-and-order-recovery-disks-will-i-need-product-key/?p=3147594

Animal has made the same suggestion I did in your other topic.

One way to find your topics is to open your profile and click on Content.  All of you topics will be listed there.  To find your profile look at the upper right corner of the page you are on in the forums.  You will see your user name, click on this, and then click on My Profile in the menu. :thumbup2:  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users