Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BIOS password/ other problems

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DustyLv

DustyLv

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:50 PM

I am very sorry if this is the wrong section to post in, but I really can't find any other place to post this is.

Laptop specs/HW: Asus F3E series laptop, AMI bios (Version 305, Date 2008.07.21.).

Ok, from the beginning - some friends put on a BIOS password on my laptop and forgot it. 

Now I'm trying to get it off, but no luck. And I probably have messed something up already.

I've tried just about everything from Hiren's Boot CD, nothing helped, the password is still there. But when starting up my laptop it beeps once and says that CMOS time/date is not set and gives me 2 options - to enter the SETUP or use default values, both of them give the same result - it asks for a password. When I get in my Windows I see that the time is reset to year 2008. 

I've also tried updating my BIOS with the same version and one lower with AFLASH2, it updated successfully but nothing really changed, the password is still there and time still resets.

Today I changed the BIOS battery (before putting the new one in, there was no battery in for about 2-3 hours if not more) hoping that it would fix something. Well, it didn't..

Checked the strings from BIOS, some random letters and numbers came up, but nothing that would work as the password.

Also, for the last few days, my Windows has crashed 2 times giving 7a error code, and after some searching it seems that it points to hardware failure. My HDD has been clicking for the last few days too, so I think it could be the culprit. But, today I connected it to another laptop and the clicking was gone. Could the BIOS affect my HDD and cause the crashes?

I am quite desperate right now as I don't see anything else I could try. I have backuped my necessary files and documents, but still this laptop is vital for my studies right now and I can't buy a new one.

Does anyone have anything else in mind that I could try?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Due to the open, public nature of this forum, any assistance given to help circumvent security measures, even for legitimate purposes, would be available for unscrupulous individuals to use for illegitimate purposes.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:27 PM

Well...that's not technically true or accurate.

The website has no problem with assisting members where it's perceivved as a true case of the member exercising admin/owner rights...the question is...how does a member do such?

<<Ok, from the beginning - some friends put on a BIOS password on my laptop and forgot it. >>

Does that sound plausable...based on your experiences with computers?  If not, then...it's not likely to solicit any response, IMO.

The following can be construed as applicable to all questions re obviation of passwords.

We sympathize with your situation. Though your question about passwords is most likely legitimate, there are those who would pretend to need such assistance in order to gain unauthorized access to a computer not owned by them. We have no way of confirming ownership or if someone is being truthful with us. As such we don't provide step by step instructions but we certainly can help you find the information you seek.

This article describes the Microsoft policy about missing, lost, forgotten, or incorrect passwords...Microsoft support engineers cannot help you retrieve passwords of files and features in Microsoft products that are lost or forgotten.

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

You can refer to these Microsoft articles.

Forgotten Password Instructions provided by Microsoft:

Non-Microsoft Forgotten Password Guides:

Password Recovery Tools:

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#4 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 687 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 12:36 PM

Well...that's not technically true or accurate.

Please explain.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users