Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Videos in Chrome causing internet connection failure

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:04 PM

That's actually my first issue, but I wanted to make a quick remark that apparently Chrome isn't going to let me post a new topic in this forum, either.  I tried to post about this in Chrome and kept getting a "You don't have permission to do that," message.

So, I guess there is some conflict with Chrome extenstions, maybe?  Had no problems on my previous computer.

The scenario is that I just got my "new" Dell Optiplex GX620 up and running with the sound issue mentioned elsewhere all figured out.  I use both Chrome and Firefox with a preference for Chrome.  When I'm on facebook or someone sends me a video, the video quits at around 10-15 seconds in and absolutely crashes all internet connectivity.  Repairing the connection doesn't not work.  My USB dongle (TP-Link Wireless) may report a connection strength of "low" in spite of the fact that my router, which is fairly new for the last few months, broadcasts out to the street (I can access the internet with no issues on my iPad during this time).  The ONLY thing that seems to fix the issue is rebooting the computer.

I have not noticed the issue with Firefox, so I'm wondering if one of my Chrome extensions is causing it.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:30 AM

OK, here's an update.  It no longer seems to be browser specific. The issue is now cropping up with pretty much any video that streams off the web on any web browser.  The origin of the video doesn't seem to matter, so I'm guessing it's got to have something to do with either my TP-Link wireless dongle, or some issue I don't know about.  I will try to get another dongle and see if that fixes the problem.  At least they're fairly cheap.

In the meantime, PLEASE chime in if you have any thoughts.

Thank you.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:08 PM

Are you able to temporarily hook up your computer by ethernet to the router and see if the same thing happens by ethernet? I realize this might be a pain since the computer is a desktop and if the router is in another room. But, it could help us determine if it is some issue just with the WiFi or some overall networking issue with the computer.

#4 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Oooooh, that would be tough.  There is no monitor in the room where the router is, and the monitor I have is dying, and it's a fifty pound CRT that came with my old Gateway.  Is there such a thing as a 100 foot long ethernet cable?

But, that is a very good thought.  Do you know if there would be another symptom of an overall networking issue that I could try to force?  This issue seems to be specific to videos, so far.  

what about my firewall settings?  I've set my firewall (AVG) to ask me for permissions, but it's turned on.  Should I try turning it off to watch videos, or do you think that has nothing to do with it?

#5 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Oooooh, that would be tough.  There is no monitor in the room where the router is, and the monitor I have is dying, and it's a fifty pound CRT that came with my old Gateway.  Is there such a thing as a 100 foot long ethernet cable?

Yes, there is such a thing as a 100 ft ethernet cable.

But, that is a very good thought.  Do you know if there would be another symptom of an overall networking issue that I could try to force?  This issue seems to be specific to videos, so far.

Off the top of my head, I cannot think of another way.

what about my firewall settings?  I've set my firewall (AVG) to ask me for permissions, but it's turned on.  Should I try turning it off to watch videos, or do you think that has nothing to do with it?

You could certainly try turning off the firewall, but I doubt that is it. If it was, then you likely would not be getting even the 10 to 15 secs of video.

#6 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:24 PM

Well, now it seems to be happening randomly, without any browser windows open or videos starting.  I'm betting it's the dongle, but since I have to get a new monitor, anyway, I might as well just get a new monitor and cart the system into the room where the router is to plug in the ethernet cable diagnose it.  I'm assuming if I have no issues with it being plugged directly into the router that one might assume it's the dongle.  Sounds like another trip to Fry's.

#7 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:58 PM

Well, now it seems to be happening randomly, without any browser windows open or videos starting.  I'm betting it's the dongle, but since I have to get a new monitor, anyway, I might as well just get a new monitor and cart the system into the room where the router is to plug in the ethernet cable diagnose it.  I'm assuming if I have no issues with it being plugged directly into the router that one might assume it's the dongle.  Sounds like another trip to Fry's.

Yes, if the ethernet connection works fine, then that does suggest that it is an issue with the WiFi connection. Technically, it could be either the WiFi dongle on the computer or the router, but since your iPad seems to work fine with the router, it does suggest that it is the WiFi dongle.

It could be a WiFi signal level issue too. Just because you can get the iPad signal from the street does not mean that their may not be some interference between the computer and the router...unless the computer is between the router and the place at the road where you tried the iPad. Things like masonry, metal pipes in bathrooms, large appliances, etc can impact WiFi signals. For example, my router is at the back of my house. In the middle of my house I have a MASSIVE masonry chimney. It effectively kills my WiFi signal towards the front of the house. My signal more or less just reaches the living room in the front of my house, but not much more than that. Without the chimney, my signal likely would make it to the street.

#8 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

Oh, wow!  You know, my house's stupid Smart Meter is directly on the outside of the wall next to my computer.  Do you think that could do it?  I do not have this problem with my old Compaq's wireless dongle, which is even closer to the wall than the Dell.  

Unfortunately, I don't have any other place in my house for my computer.  :scratchhead:

#9 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:09 PM

Oh, and the room the router is in is right next to the wall on the same side of the house as my room, so there shouldn't be interference there.

I often use my iPad while sitting on the opposite side of our massive brick chimney, too, so I think there is no problem there.  I'm really wondering if it's the Smart Meter.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:25 PM

Oh, wow!  You know, my house's stupid Smart Meter is directly on the outside of the wall next to my computer.  Do you think that could do it?  I do not have this problem with my old Compaq's wireless dongle, which is even closer to the wall than the Dell.  

Unfortunately, I don't have any other place in my house for my computer.  :scratchhead:

It is possible. The fact that it does not seems to effect the iPad and it did not happen it the old Compaq suggests that it should be a problem, but you never know.

So, trying the computer, at least temporarily, in another location in the house might test this.

#11 blondeandconfused

blondeandconfused
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:00 PM

OK, so I haven't tried moving the computer, yet, but I did get another wireless dongle that I like better, anyway, and it came with an adapter to allow me to place it somewhere away from all the other possible interference.  This did not resolve the issue.  Then I tried disabling the firewall and watched several videos that had previously caused the issue, and the issue did not reoccur.  So, I'm thinking it might be the firewall.  I will just try disabling the firewall before watching any streaming videos and see if that's all it was.  If it turns out to be something else, I'll come back and report that.

In the meantime, does anyone know why, if it IS the firewall, it would stop the video at the 10-14 second mark, and then not allow ANY other internet connection, even just switching to a new tab in the browser?  I'm curious as to why that should happen.  The software is AVG Internet Security 2013.  The computer is Dell Optiplex GX620 Dual core 3.0 GHz Pentium running Win XP pro.  My speccy is on another thread regarding sound issues.

#12 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

OK, so I haven't tried moving the computer, yet, but I did get another wireless dongle that I like better, anyway, and it came with an adapter to allow me to place it somewhere away from all the other possible interference.  This did not resolve the issue.  Then I tried disabling the firewall and watched several videos that had previously caused the issue, and the issue did not reoccur.  So, I'm thinking it might be the firewall.  I will just try disabling the firewall before watching any streaming videos and see if that's all it was.  If it turns out to be something else, I'll come back and report that.

In the meantime, does anyone know why, if it IS the firewall, it would stop the video at the 10-14 second mark, and then not allow ANY other internet connection, even just switching to a new tab in the browser?  I'm curious as to why that should happen.  The software is AVG Internet Security 2013.  The computer is Dell Optiplex GX620 Dual core 3.0 GHz Pentium running Win XP pro.  My speccy is on another thread regarding sound issues.

I honestly cannot think of a reason why a firewall program would do that unless it is some strange settings. Generally, firewalls with either let something happen or it won't let it happen at all. So, I would think the firewall would either not let the video play at all or let it play.

About the only thing that I can think is that there is some setting that might be confusing that the "excessive" data download for the video with some sort of nefarious thing. But, that would be more the anti-virus/malware side of things then kind of "telling" the firewall to shut of the Internet connection. And frankly, I am not really aware of any consumer level security programs doing that kind of thing. As I said, it is usually a "block" or "don't block" scenario right from the start.

I suppose it could be that there is a bug in the firewall or something similar that gets "triggered" when you have a lot of data being downloaded. In other words, you are "overloading" the system in some manner such that it kill the Internet connection. And somehow it only gets triggered when the firewall is active.

I suppose you could try a different security program.

I did find this thread that suggests it might be an issue with AVG:

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/IBV1trPM8l8

They were specifically talking about YouTube videos, but it might be the same thing. You could try what many in that thread did...turn off the AVG Accelerator that appears to be part of the AVG security suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users