On Sept 5, I began to experience malfunction of my desktop computer.
It's running Windows 7 Pro.
The bad behaviour is that
1) the computer frequently stalls, no activity can be made to happen, and within a minute or so, becomes active again.
2) using my browser, Chrome, I can only access some web sites (gmail, facebook) but not others (www.theglobeandmail.com, www.winnipegfreepress.com)
In Safe mode with networking, these problems don't happen.
So far I have tried:
1) Malwarebytes - found nothing
2) Kaspersky rescue disk - took 24 hours to scan my C: drive SSD, found nothing
3) Spybot Search & Destroy - found lots of items, told it to fix, no change in behavior.
As a side note, a friend of mine who lives in the same neighbourhood, had the same thing happen to his computer on the same day.
I have daily system backups, so I could format C: and restore from backup, but then I wouldn't learn anything or be able to help people who don't have such a backup.
What should I do next?