Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 2000 And Me Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Llynm

Llynm

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

Hello. I just set-up a new HP 6940 on my wind. 2000 system. My husband and I are networked. He wants to use MY printer. I aet-up with the ethernet cable but I can't figure out how to get his computer to recognize it. PLease help!
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Your computer and his must both be members of the same network and the same workgroup.

Is one of the computers running Windows XP?
If one is, there is a network wizard in XP if you have the SP2 critical update installed.
There is more than one way to set up a home network and the Help wizard in Windows XP describes several.

In the computer that has XP, click start then click "Help". When it opens type in "Networking" at the top.
That will give you instructions as to how to use the Networking Wizard to set up your network on BOTH computers.

The printer's software must be loaded on both computers and unless you have a print server, the printer must be connected to one of the computers, not to the router - preferably to the one that has XP.

Both computers need to be connected to the router that shares the internet connection.

There are other things that must be done to enable file and print sharing in the W2k computer.

Here are some sources for more information:
Home and Small Office Networking with Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...ng/default.mspx

Windows 2000 Pro networking
http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/sup...000pro_p2p.mspx

Edited by Enthusiast, 25 April 2006 - 04:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users