Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need assistance with how to change viewing of Mpeg files

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:19 AM

I don't know what I may have done recently, but when I go to view my mpegs in my movie folder, I no longer can see the opening clip/picture of the movie.  Instead, what I see is a mpeg film strip movie "icon".

How do I change it back so that I can at least see the opening clip / picture of the mpeg so that I know what I am viewing other than the brief description below the file?

Thanks in advance for your help!

hYlAnDeR~TFC~
[OF/FA] Orion Faction-Retired
Game Squad Fleet Admiral~Retired

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

Open folder...click view...select Thumbnails.

Louis

#3 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:51 PM

thanks for your help.  i will give this a try!

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#4 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:30 AM

Well,

When I click to open  folder, then click view, I do not have a thumbnail choice on the list select as a viewing option. 

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

What options do you have? Nevermind, I gave wrong instructions, assuming that you have the old Windows file menu bar in place..

Start/Help...type thumbnail view, hit Enter. Read first item in list.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 16 September 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#6 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:09 AM

I attempted the step by step instructions.  But, I still am unable to view a thumbnail picture or snapshot of the first clip on any mpeg file in my mpeg folders.  The regular jpeg, bmp, tif etc image files all work fine and I can see the thumbnails for those without any problems.  The problem I am having is with viewing mpeg files without a thumbnail image.   I am using Win 7 Home Premium. 

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 04:49 PM

Sorry but I have no idea why the images behave properly for graphics files and not so for video files.

Louis

#8 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:01 PM

ya, seems like I've ran across a little buggy here.  I've searched the internet helps for file and/or suggestions on how to correct this. Most of them suggest downloading files to edit the registry etc. I'm not too comfortable with doing that actually.  I'll keep plucking along from time to time to see if I can find something that works.  If I do find a solution, i'll be sure to post it here in hopes that it helps anyone else out.

I think the better wording for what I am trying to do is:  "how to enable a preview thumbnail in an mpeg, avi, mvp, file etc,. instead of viewing it as an filmstrip icon."  It worked about a month or so ago, but dunno what happened.  All the sudden all I see now on my mpeg, avi etc movie files is a filmstrip icon :(

Thanks again for your help though, it is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by hYlAnDeR~TFC, 21 September 2013 - 05:13 PM.

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#9 hYlAnDeR~TFC

hYlAnDeR~TFC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:28 PM

Well,

I think I finally found the solution:

Be careful however when you download this file, even if it is downloaded from what may be considered a safe website such as "CNET".

I downloaded this file:

installed the" K Lite 64 bit codec pack", All is back to normal.

***Caution *** be sure to take your time when installing this program. You do not want to install the tool bar or any of its affiliated files. It just creates a major headache.  Just download the file from CNET or any other website you find trustworthy, to you desktop. Be sure to have the file scanned by your antivirus software as you save it. Then install it and follow the step by steps carefully. I just used the defaults.  Then deleted the installer and file from desktop after I was done and it fixed the problem.  I can now see all the thumbnail previews for the video files like I did before. 

Hope this helps out anyone else out there who may have come across this problem!

hYlAnDeR~TFC~

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2013 - 06:41 PM

Strange...but in ComputerLand, anything that works is good :).

The k-Lite codec pack (or something similar) is needed for WMP to play .mpg files...I've known that for sometime.  But you never indicated that they would not play...and I had no clue that WMP is somehow connected to Windows properly recognizing .mpg file attributes.

Nice work...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users