Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 blubblub

blubblub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:47 AM

Dear madam/sir,

After hours of trying I’m at a complete loss and am resorting to my favourite forum in these situations, in the hope someone can help out.

I’ve downloaded Windows 8 Pro via MS Dreamspark. First I downloaded the English ISO file and burned it to DVD. The installation failed, so to avoid problems I downloaded the Dutch version, since currently I’m running Windows 7 Ultimate Dutch with language pack. I use the language pack to set Windows to English, but to avoid problems I switched it back to Dutch.

The problem

At the installation itself I opt to only keep my personal files, and confirm that I would have to re-install languages in Windows 8.

It then starts installing windows 8.

After the reboot the window 8 logo appears and the circle with the little bulbs ‘spins’,  and ‘preparing’ underneath uptil a percentage, then it reboots again and only shows the windows 8 logo with the bubbles spinning (but no percentage anymore), it does this for a few seconds then reboots again and again logo and bulbles only, for a few seconds and then it switches to a blue screen telling me the installation has not completed and the previous version will be installed. In other words, MS telling me that I’ve just wasted another half-hour of my time with no indication of what is causing the failure L

My PC

• Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (Dutch with language pack and service pack 1 installed)
  • Motherboard: Asrock A75 PRO 4 (socket FM1, VGA)
  • Graphic card: AMD Radeon HD 6550D (APU)
  • Processor: AMD A8-3870K (black edition)

I’ve removed almost all software and installed the latest BIOS from Asrock (which should be Windows 8 ready) and drivers from AMD.

Only three issues according to the upgrade assistant:

• Install an app to play dvd’s
  • Secure start is not compatible with the pc
  • Screen resolution is not compatible with the aligning

These 3 points only have an ‘i' icon in front them.

An overview of installed programs is in the attached file.

Before I start wasting another half-hour of my time, does anyone know what might be causing the failure to install? Any help is highly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Peter

Attached Files

Edited by blubblub, 07 September 2013 - 04:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:23 AM

Are you performing an upgrade or clean install? 

Edit: If your computer is set to boot from DVD first, Eject the DVD after the install completes when it reboots. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 September 2013 - 11:27 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:17 PM

Are you performing an upgrade or clean install? 

Edit: If your computer is set to boot from DVD first, Eject the DVD after the install completes when it reboots. 

Thanks for the quick reply. I first startup Windows 7 and then insert the Win 8 DVD, in the selection I opt to keep my personal files and then it starts installing. I guess this is then an upgrade and not a clean install.

I've tried removing the DVD when it reboots the first time, but unfortunately with the same result.

Should I do a clean install? If so, is it a simple matter of setting the BIOS to start from DVD, inserting my Win 8 DVD and restart my PC? Also I have partitioned my harddrive into two partitions. Will a clean install remove all data from both partitions, or only the one with Windows 7 on it?

Any other suggestions are of course also welcome.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:10 PM

Can I change my language when I upgrade?
The easiest way to change your language is to upgrade to the same language you currently have on your PC, keep your apps, settings, and files, and then add a new language afterwards. If you switch from one language to another during the upgrade, you won't be able to keep your apps or settings. For more info on adding and switching to a new language, see Languages in Windows 8 and Windows RT.

Did you try running the Upgrade Asistant ?

A clean install should work just fine. You can install Windows 8 to a second partition and leave Windows 7 intact. During the Windows 8 install it will ask where you want to install Windows. Select the second partition, Windows will format the partition if its not empty and install Windows. After rebooting you will have the option to select which Windows you want to run. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 September 2013 - 01:14 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 blubblub

blubblub
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:22 PM

Can I change my language when I upgrade?
The easiest way to change your language is to upgrade to the same language you currently have on your PC, keep your apps, settings, and files, and then add a new language afterwards. If you switch from one language to another during the upgrade, you won't be able to keep your apps or settings. For more info on adding and switching to a new language, see Languages in Windows 8 and Windows RT.

Did you try running the Upgrade Asistant ?

A clean install should work just fine. You can install Windows 8 to a second partition and leave Windows 7 intact. During the Windows 8 install it will ask where you want to install Windows. Select the second partition, Windows will format the partition if its not empty and install Windows. After rebooting you will have the option to select which Windows you want to run. 

Thanks again for your replies. I had switched my Win7 back to its Original Dutch and used the Dutch Win8 DVD, but that did not help. I had also used the upgrade assistant, but that did not report any issues.

I've done a 'clean install' and that worked. So my problem is no longer an issue. Thanks once again for the help. It remains strange though why the upgrade didn't work and I find it quite annoying from MS that they also don't give any indication as to what might cause the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users