Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Light weight antivirus

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TY19405

TY19405

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:29 AM

I am running the dell precision m90 without and antivirus. When I install and antivirus my laptop becomes slow. What is an antivirus i can install that wont slow down my laptop?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:54 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials is a pretty lightweight, free antivirus which shouldn't cause any problems with your laptop. Avast! free is good too, but it takes more resources.

Do you know your specs (i.e. amount of RAM installed and CPU speed)?

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#3 rootkid

rootkid

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:15 PM

Here is a detailed test from one of my favorite blogs Raymond.cc -

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/which-free-antivirus-is-the-lightest-on-system-memory-usage/

Hth.

Edited by rootkid, 07 September 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#4 TY19405

TY19405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

@xXTofeeXx 

My specs are windows xp home edition

3gb of ram

2.33ghz

and a 160gb hard drive.

I have tried avast but the laptop became really slugish.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:44 PM

My personal choice is ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:43 AM

@TY19405

When you first install an antivirus you would notice system a little tiny bit slower for the obvious reason. But thats the cost of staying protected. Soon you would get used to it.

quietman7 has suggested a great antivirus ESET, it is my choice also for paid antivirus. I prefer avast! for free antivirus.

You have a laptop. One thing you should look out for is pre-installed software that comes in laptops. These pre-installed OEM software is usually unnecessary and can make your system slow. Check out PCDecrapifier, it can help you remove unwanted junk from your laptop.

#7 rootkid

rootkid

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:23 PM

Can someone comment on the effectiveness or usefulness of the tests in the links which I posted ?

I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 08 September 2013 - 05:27 PM

These kinds of comparative testing results will vary depending on a variety of factors to include but not limited to who conducted the testing, what they were testing for, what versions of anti-virus software was tested, what type of scanning engine was used, and the ability to clean or repair. There are no universally predefined set of standards or criteria for testing which means each test will yield different results. As such, you need to look for detailed information about how the tests were conducted, the procedures used, and data results.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

Can someone comment on the effectiveness or usefulness of the tests in the links which I posted ?

Thanks.

The tests done by raymond.cc are useless. They talk about lightest antivirus, but test only for memory usage. They have not checked the CPU usage.

I can write a simple program that uses little memory but can drive the CPU crazy making computer unresponsive. So you have to look out for both things - if you want to test for the system resources used by an antivirus (or any other program).

Look at the picture, I made a simple program in C and it is taking 100% CPU. But memory consumption is very low.

Snap6.jpg

#10 rootkid

rootkid

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks.

The tests done by raymond.cc are useless. They talk about lightest antivirus, but test only for memory usage. They have not checked the CPU usage.

I can write a simple program that uses little memory but can drive the CPU crazy making computer unresponsive. So you have to look out for both things - if you want to test for the system resources used by an antivirus (or any other program).

Look at the picture, I made a simple program in C and it is taking 100% CPU. But memory consumption is very low.

Snap6.jpg

Thanks. What is the code doing ? Would some big calculation in an infinite loop do the same thing ?

#11 TY19405

TY19405
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:25 AM

I installed avira antivirus and it really hasn't slowed down my laptop.

@Romeo29 i don't need to use pcdecrapifier because i reinstalled windows with my own retail copy.

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 01:59 AM

Thanks. What is the code doing ? Would some big calculation in an infinite loop do the same thing ?

You guessed it right, but I just showed it as an example to make my point, you should not create or run such programs.

I installed avira antivirus and it really hasn't slowed down my laptop.

@Romeo29 i don't need to use pcdecrapifier because i reinstalled windows with my own retail copy.

That's good news. You should also use MBAM as an on-demand scanner to scan your PC from time to time (say weekly). This should keep you free from all viruses.

#13 hbyton

hbyton

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:50 AM

I use panda cloud on my little netbook. Its very light and offers good protection, and best of all its free! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users