Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Browser Saftey (Firefox)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Windir

Windir

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:39 PM

I want to share how my browser plays a big part of keeping my computer safe rather than just my anti-virus itself.

This is something i picked up from another forum that's has stuck with me ever since. This thread has my point of view.

BROWSER

I'm pretty sure the majority of the community has either Google Chrome, or Firefox. If you have explorer, I've heard its gotten better on windows 8? If not, switch your browser! This will only be for Firefox, mainly because it offers more add-ons thus more safety add-ons to add. If you don't already have Firefox you can download it here.

ADD-ONS

So youre probably already know what add-ons are, right? No? Well, let me quote Mozilla's FAQ page "Add-ons are small pieces of software that add new features or functionality to your installation of Firefox. Add-ons can augment Firefox with new features, foreign language dictionaries, or change its visual appearance. Through add-ons, you can customize Firefox to meet your needs and tastes." I hope this clears everything up about add-ons. Now i will give you a list of  add ons to apply to your browser :)

ADBLOCK PLUS

This piece of software is a plus, plus. It has the capability of removing  annoying ads witch is a haven for us all :bowdown:  but will also keep computer illiterates from thinking they've won a new Ipad on your computer. If there are actually still people fooled by those ads :mellow:

POP-UP BLOCKER

This filters most pop-ups when clicking on a bad link

BETTER PRIVACY

When deleting all your history and cookies, this deletes hidden cookies known as LSOs.

GHOSTERY

Ghostery is a unique add on witch blocks trackers from keeping information of websites you've visited. this video better explains everything about trackers.

WOT

Web of Trust (WOT) is another community of users witch try to filter out bad and good websites by letting you know what people think the safety is on the sites you visit. It's like yelp for websites. :busy:

BROWSER PREFRENCES

Last thing we need to do is click the Firefox button on the top left of your browser then click:

• Options
  • Options

click the 'privacy' tab and make sure 'Tell sites i do not want to be tracked' is dotted. this will let web sites know you do not want to be tracked. You're done! :D Happy browsing! i hope its easy to understand, and accurate! This took me a couple hours v.v Ill probably update latter :P Let me know what you guys think!

Optional

click the firefox button on the top left of your brower then click:

• Options
  • Options
  • Pravacy tab

Under 'history' make sure it says "firefox will use cusome settings for history" and where it says "accept third party cookie" make it 'never' and better saftey you can have it never remember your history.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blueicetwice

blueicetwice

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:47 PM

Windir, FF is indeed an excellent browser...When I used it, I also had script blocker added as

an extra security measure...

I am using Chrome in Rome, because it is faster, but if it ever was necessary I would

certainly return to FF...

I have toyed with about six or seven browers, but Chrome and FF are the best from the rest.... 

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

Having too many toolbars, browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins can sometimes cause your browser to quit unexpectedly or not perform properly especially if they were poorly designed or created for an earlier browser version. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can also impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing). Some toolbars and add-ons are even considered PUPs or adware related. I recommend removing all which you do not use or do not recognize.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Windir

Windir
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:35 PM

Having too many toolbars, browser extensions and add-ons/plug-ins can sometimes cause your browser to quit unexpectedly or not perform properly especially if they were poorly designed or created for an earlier browser version. Incompatible browser extensions and add-ons can also impact system performance and cause compatibility issues such as application hangs (freezing). Some toolbars and add-ons are even considered PUPs or adware related. I recommend removing all which you do not use or do not recognize.

Yes,  as the matter of fact, all these add-ons will use up a good amount of memory when using Firefox. They are still very usefull to have, for those who are interested, and light internet useres.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users