Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking teenagers from accessing the web at certain times

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 tdrolin

tdrolin

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 PM

I am trying to block my 16 year old from Internet access at certain time. I am doing it through my Bell modem in the section for scheduling. It seems he is finding a way around this. I have changed the default admin password. And login in, so that's not A problem. It seems he may be switching ip addresses to get around this but I am not sure.
Anyone have any ideas what he is doing? The problem is he is probably smarter than me at this stuff 'and I am no rookie!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:20 PM

install k9 web protection on the computer hes using. http://www1.k9webprotection.com/

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,043 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:20 AM

I'm going to guess he may be using a proxy (since that's what I would use), but I could be completely wrong. You could compare ip addresses if you are able to get access to his computer (just search what is my ip and it will give it to you), or look in his settings.

I think k9 should work for you, and the opinion you want in the program is the nightguard (stops access at certain times). Just make sure he cannot get rid of it easily, I don't know how technical he is so that's something to keep in mind.

xXToffeeXx~

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

#4 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:37 AM

Seems like a golden oldie. If the  parents lock up the computers in their home, isn't it rather simple for the whiz-kids to look at whatever they wish round their pals house ? Or better still, on a portable Laptop just about anywhere.

At 16 years old and studying seriously at college, I was pretty streetwise and witty, my parents would not have stood a chance playing that easy game.

Edited by yabbadoo, 07 September 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#5 tdrolin

tdrolin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:54 PM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES, ESPECIALLY YABBADOO, YOU WERE SO HELPFUL! THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO RESTRICT WHAT HE IS DOING JUST THE TIME FRAME, HE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH IN THE MORNING SOWE  WANT HIM IN BED EARLIER. LAST YEAR SCHOOL WAS A STRUGGLE FOR HIM DO TO TOO MUCH TIME ON COMPUTER, TOO MANY LATE NIGHTS TO BE MORE ACCURATE. GIVEN THE BATTLE WE ARE HAVING BACK AND FORTH FOR COMPUTER ACCESS HE IS VERY BRIGHT HE JUST NEEDS TO DISPLAY IT IN THE REAL WORLD. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! I WILL TRY k9 AND REPORT BACK TO YOU!

#6 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:09 PM

I've never tried K9 myself but will look into it for my teens too but I have used Norton family safety in the past and it has time limits on it where it actually locks up the computer when the time reaches its cutoff. He could not even log in and it doesn't give an option for entering the parents password - the computer is just locked. He could possibly get around this by creating another user, but, if you make him a standard user on his computer and make yourself an admin, he will not be allowed to create another user or turn on the guest account. Make sure you use an alphanumeric camel case password, possibly with some non standard characters for your admin password so he can't hack it.

#7 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 06:14 AM

THANKS EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES, ESPECIALLY YABBADOO, YOU WERE SO HELPFUL! THIS IS NOT AN ATTEMPT TO RESTRICT WHAT HE IS DOING JUST THE TIME FRAME, HE IS VERY DIFFICULT TO DEAL WITH IN THE MORNING SOWE  WANT HIM IN BED EARLIER. LAST YEAR SCHOOL WAS A STRUGGLE FOR HIM DO TO TOO MUCH TIME ON COMPUTER, TOO MANY LATE NIGHTS TO BE MORE ACCURATE. GIVEN THE BATTLE WE ARE HAVING BACK AND FORTH FOR COMPUTER ACCESS HE IS VERY BRIGHT HE JUST NEEDS TO DISPLAY IT IN THE REAL WORLD. THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! I WILL TRY k9 AND REPORT BACK TO YOU!

ROLLINSMILEY_zps0595da82.gif  ROFL

"SO WE  WANT HIM IN BED EARLIER"

!6 year olds and bed at night don`t mix. Its lost time. Mornings ? They are Zombies until Noon.

You got a pair of handcuffs and a good iron bedstead ?

"HE IS VERY BRIGHT" They are all very bright at that age, but for the wrong reasons. You`ve got a job on. Hire a pub Bouncer,  that`ll do the trick.

"TOO MANY LATE NIGHTS" Tell me about it. At that age, late nights were the highlight of the day, a purpose in life..

K9 ? That`s a dog ! He`ll most likely have a bag of` goodies handy to make a real pal of it. Partners in  crime they`ll be. I have a Rottweiler, vicious as hell, looks like a Great White with a sore butt when the Postman calls,  yet is a real Pussy-Cat at the mere sniff of a biscuit.

​Conclusion :- I dunno, but with teenagers of 16 +, I guess you`re on a loser.  If you can`t beat `em,  join `em.

Edited by yabbadoo, 12 September 2013 - 11:43 AM.

#8 Gahhruuba

Gahhruuba

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

ROLLINSMILEY_zps0595da82.gif  ROFL

"SO WE  WANT HIM IN BED EARLIER"

!6 year olds and bed at night don`t mix. Its lost time. Mornings ? They are Zombies until Noon.

You got a pair of handcuffs and a good iron bedstead ?

"HE IS VERY BRIGHT" They are all very bright at that age, but for the wrong reasons. You`ve got a job on. Hire a pub Bouncer,  that`ll do the trick.

"TOO MANY LATE NIGHTS" Tell me about it. At that age, late nights were the highlight of the day, a purpose in life..

K9 ? That`s a dog ! He`ll most likely have a bag of` goodies handy to make a real pal of it. Partners in  crime they`ll be. I have a Rottweiler, vicious as hell, looks like a Great White with a sore butt when the Postman calls,  yet is a real Pussy-Cat at the mere sniff of a biscuit.

​Conclusion :- I dunno, but with teenagers of 16 +, I guess you`re on a loser.  If you can`t beat `em,  join `em.

You must be 14 years old or something little kid.

at OP

Your kid is probably using a VPN or Proxy to bypass your routers filter.

You can always just unplug your router at night or unplug his Ethernet cord, or switch off the wireless so only the computers directly connected are able to connect.

You can give K9 and those other tools a shot, but I'm unsure if they will help if he's using Proxy/VPN.

Edited by Gahhruuba, 12 September 2013 - 03:00 PM.

#9 yabbadoo

yabbadoo

• Banned
  • 510 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

@ Gahhruuba

Sense of humor =  ZERO

Well done ! Have a banana with my compliments.

Yabba

Edited by yabbadoo, 12 September 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#10 tdrolin

tdrolin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

i think yabbadoo has only a sense of humor that he gets because i dont find it funny at all, maybe if his parents spent more time controlling his access he would spend less time making fun of people who are trying to get help and help some else in the process!

I am sure yabba you will have a very funny retort, that only you will get but save it, i am not interested unless you have something helpful to say!

#11 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:44 PM

Hello tdrolin,

What is the operating system on the computer in question?  There are ways to schedule an automatic shutdown of the computer at a certain time.  The means to do so varies depending on the operating system.

Also, there are software programs out there that can be programmed to shut down computers on a network at a certain time.   The public library I go to has such a program installed.  There is generally a 10 minute and a 5 minute warning before shutdown to allow patrons to save anything they may be working on. If the computer is shut down, there is no way he/she can bypass the computer use restrictions.

~ OB :cherry:

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#12 ummhasan

ummhasan

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:34 AM

Gahhruuba, good idea, I didn't think of that. Orange Blossom, Please share the name of these programs and if there is a multi os solution. I'm running 8 computers on our network, one on Win 8, 3 on Win 7, 2 on Vista, 2 on XP. My kids always leave them on at night and if I forget to go and turn them all off, we have a huge electric bill! I'd love to set something up that will auto shut them all off.

#13 Elise

Elise

Bleepin' Blonde

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 60,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:26 AM

It depends on your router, but on some types you can block VPN access. This will not help for proxies though so it depends on what he uses.

regards, Elise

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | lockerdome

Malware analyst @ Emsisoft

#14 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:47 PM

Please keep this topic on track. This is not the place to dicusss parenting skills or the foibles of teenagers.

If you cannot answer the question or provide something that would be helpful to the OP then please do not post in this topic.

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

@ ummhasan,

I don't know the names of the programs myself. I simply know that they exist. I could ask at the public library and find out what program they use, though that might actually be more complex than you want since it also includes features of timing user's log-in sessions etc. Whether that software works on multi-OS networks, I don't know. It might also be far more expensive than you would be willing to run.

Also, check into the OS's own managing. I've read that there are ways of scheduling computer shutdowns from within the OS with no need for special software. You'd have to do that on a computer by computer basis though I think. Here's an article that tells how to schedule automatic shutdown in Windows 7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/95316-task-scheduler-create-shut-down-pc-automatically-task.html

~ OB :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users