Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kernal_stack_inpage_error

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 slothead

slothead

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:44 PM

Can anyone help? If I run any antivirus software the program starts and then at some point it freezes and a blue screen comes up saying windows has shut down for safety and Kernel_stack_inpage_error. I Have tried running Mcafrees(Which was a free trial when I brought my laptop), Spybot and AVG (free version). My laptop was fine until I downloaded Adware Addway and selected it to run on startup. Next computer start I had the blue screen and so when it eventually started after a few tries I deleted the programme. I have also tried to defrag my system but this also results in the blue screen. Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

Do you have the actual number of the error message? It makes a great difference in solving the problem. One possibility is a boot sector virus. If your McAfee antivirus is expired, it would behoove you to download a free antivirus like AVG, then remove all McAfee products as best you can and install AVG, update it and scan.

Adware Addway

Never heard of it. Are you sure you don't mean Adaware SE Personal?

Blue screen during a defrag is very serious. Don't run it again until after running a chkdsk (error checking - XP's version of Scandisk)

Before you do that, go to My Computer, right click and choose Properties, and check for hard disk space. Windows needs a bunch to run properly, and if you're having problems with the paging file, that could be why. You would need to free up space before running Defrag, Chkdsk, or many other things if your disk is too full. Probably a good idea to have a gig and a half free, minimum, to allow internet files, paging files, and small downloads some room.

#3 slothead

slothead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:14 PM

Being a complete computer novice makes even looking for the Hard disk space a challenge. I had already got spybot and avg on the laptop before the problem arose. If the number error message are the numbers which include many zeros, well these change depending on where the antivirus programme I am running freezes. Also can I find chkdsk on my system?

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:52 PM

If the number error message are the numbers which include many zeros, well these change depending on where the antivirus programme I am running freezes.

Yes, usually a combination of zeroes and maybe an x and other numbers.

Being a complete computer novice makes even looking for the Hard disk space a challenge.

Click the Start button. Click the My Computer entry up on the right. My Computer should show disk drives. Right-click on the C: drive. Choose Properties from the bottom of the menu. You will now see a small popup window with a pie chart and it will tell you how much disk space you have, and how much disk space is used.

Also can I find chkdsk on my system?

Yes, the same way. Now that you've got the C: drive's Properties window open, click on the "Tools" tab, and you'll see two main choices: "Error Checking" - this is chkdsk, which is a vastly improved version of the chkdsk in Windows NT and a close cousin to Scandisk from Windows 95/98/ME.

Below that, you'll see the disk defragment tool.

If you don't have enough space on your hard drive to run error checking, you may find yourself in a continuous loop and unable to get back into Windows. It will also limit the ability to use a pagefile, which is the NT/2000/XP version of a swap space on the hard drive. This is necessary to run programs, start Windows, and so on. That's why you need to check space first. If this is a relatively new computer, you might probably have 80% or more of your hard disk space free. If this is an older computer that has been upgraded to XP, it is quite common to have very little space left because the drive is smaller and it doesn't take long to fill it.

In error checking (chkdsk) there are two choices:
Automatically Fix File System Errors, and
Scan for And Attempt Recovery of Bad Sectors

If you choose the second choice as well as the first, it may take a very long time, because this checks the entire hard disk for bad sectors. It depends on the size of the drive and the speed of the computer. This check can only be run when you restart the computer because it will not work while Windows is running. It will ask if you wish to run when you restart, and you say yes. (If you've already checked your space and found a sufficient amount. I would personally like to see about a gig of free space, though you could get by with less.)
It's a good idea to run the recovery of bad sectors sometimes, especially on older drives, which may be starting to fail.

When chkdsk runs, it will only have a blue screen with white letters and will report the progress of the various parts of the scan, then Windows will restart.

After running chkdsk, you can go back and run defrag. Depending on how often you run it, how fast your computer is, and how much data you have, it can take from minutes to hours to complete. If it's very fragmented, there will be a lot of red showing. If not, it will show a lot of blue. Analyze first, then defrag.

The blue screens you're getting could be the result of corrupted files, or they could mean bad memory or a hardware conflict. This is where the error codes can help to diagnose. Also, there is something called the event viewer that may shed some light on your problems. Go to Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer.

Click on each of the items in the left pane to view errors in that particular area. In the right pane, you can double-click on the errors to get more information about them.

#5 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:10 AM

The 'Blue Screen of Death' (or BSOD) is refered to by Microsoft as a Stop Message. They can occur for many reasons. In order to diagnose it's cause we need as much info as you can give about the stop message. Please write it down and post it back here the next time it happens. In particular, it helps to have the somewhat cryptic series of numbers about half way down the blue screen that have this sort of format:

0x0000008E (Followed by four other sets of numbers in parenthesis.)

It is also helpful to know the answers to these questions:
  • What are you doing when this happens (are you on line, starting the computer, etc).
  • Does it always happen at the same time?
  • Is it always the same message, or is it a different set of numbers each time?
  • Have you added any hardware or software lately?
  • Are you experiencing any other buggy behavior from this computer (such as it runs slower than it used to, etc)?

ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#6 slothead

slothead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 12:17 PM

Well thanks for the help so far guys. I have run a CHKDSK on start up with dire results. The system ran well until CHKDSK is verifying file data(4 of 5). at 68% and after about a 5minute wait there was four lines printed on the screen which was to quick to read Something about disc space and then a blue screen reading STOP:c000021a unknown hard error and underneath unknown hard error.
The computer has gone blue screen again while using AOL the result was KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR the numbers were 0x00000077(0xC000000E 0x000000E 0x00000000 0x00C5B000). Any help would be appreciated thanks. :thumbsup:

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:08 PM

Something about disc space

This is why I said,

If you don't have enough space on your hard drive to run error checking, you may find yourself in a continuous loop and unable to get back into Windows.

You must remove either unused programs or files if you do not have enough disk space. Did you check for free space, and how much do you have?

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2006 - 01:53 PM

Did you check for free space, and how much do you have?

Just to expand on this thought:

Start > My Computer > right click on C: > Properties

What are the numbers next to Used Space and Free Space?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 slothead

slothead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

I've looked at the free space. The Used is 9.13GB and the Free is 43.6Gb. I had checked this thats why I was supprised to see the Comment on disc space when the system crashed on the CHKDSC.

#10 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:41 PM

Hey Slothead,

Look uo these articles on the Microsoft.com web site

KB228753 and KB315266

These will help you understand the error you are receiving

(Usually a hard drive or RAM issue)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

0xC000000E, or STATUS_NO_SUCH_DEVICE:
The drive went unavailable, possibly a bad hard drive, disk array, and/or controller card.
JU$T1N~1

#11 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Hello, I would like you to go to the following:

Troubleshooting "Stop 0x00000077" or "KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q315266

If you go back a feww posts you all will see the above error, and if slothead goes to the above address and do some reading and following directions his problem should be solved.

Have a good day folks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users