Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop failure

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hishuro

Hishuro

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Hello all! I'm working on a laptop which I previously recovered from some viruses a couple of weeks ago. The laptop is an HP HDX 18, 1000 I believe on Vista; it's getting the error code 03F0 the hard drive error. Bios hdd test utilities says everything is fine. I was able to attach it to another computer and recover personnel data. Vista recovery disc sees the hard drive and that it has Vista on it, though it says the boot sector is bad. I used the repair console which didn't work, then I used the cmd prompt to restore, make a new boot sector, all options available. It still fails to load. I would install a new OS for them, but the drive doesn't seem to "work", it spins up with the cd and is recognized by the bois, but it just sits at a black blank screen. Running out of ideas. I've tried a power cycle, flashed cmos, and took everything out and checked. I do know his little ones have keep improperly shutting down the laptop, even though he keeps telling them not to do that and showed them how, they still just keep holding the power button and doing a hard shut off. Any advice would be wonderful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:22 AM

have you tried the diagnostic tool made specifically for the hard drive? and do you have another hard drive you could slide into the laptop in question for testing purposes?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 Hishuro

Hishuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Yes I used the tool specifically for the hard drive, and also did the one for the entire computer. I popped in another hard drive and it just sits at a black screen as well, still not booting up with cd in tray, but is recognized by bios. Hear it spin up good, and then it just stops.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

and that hard drive functions normally on another laptop? if so, my guess is the hard drive controller on the motherboard is toast and youll likely need a new motherboard. You can try taking it apart and resetting the BIOS, but I can't garentee that will work.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 Hishuro

Hishuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

If I boot with just the one hard drive on something else it gives a split second bsod. Then it restarts. If I hook it up as a secondary hdd I can access all the files. Would the hdd controller also be messing with the dvd drive? I can't even boot an is from cd with the dvd drive. Only thing I can do is access bios.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

not sure. it boots into the BIOS ok? thats odd. can you boot from USB? like with a Linux live variant?

picard5.jpg

#7 Hishuro

Hishuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Nope, it doesn't boot with a flash drive. Plus out of nowhere when I go to the boot priority list, it's all blank, like highlighted empty boxes.

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:30 PM

My guess is then there's something wrong with the motherboard. It wouldn't hurt at this point to disasemble the laptop and locate the CMOS battery and reset the bios-and then see if you can reboot. But if that doesn't work you'll either have to find a replacement motherboard off of someplace like eBay or a new laptop.

picard5.jpg

#9 Hishuro

Hishuro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

I've already tried the CMOS battery reset. I'll try again after work, thanks for the help. I've already told him he'll probably just want to get a new laptop. Being that this one was already 5 years old. Thanks again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users