Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 update failure I want 7 back

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:44 PM

I have been fighting this update problem for some time. I did not load 8 on the PC, someone else did. I would like to go back to 7, which was on it prior to the upgrade, or in my mind, the downgrade to 8. It had Windows 7 Home Premium, which I would like to go back to. I do not have any CDs from when 7 was installed originally. It does have a sticker on the PC with the key for 7. My question is this: If i can get my hands on a 7 cd from a friend who has 7 on their PC and use the key from the sticker on my PC, can I just load 7 as normal? Never did this before, so any input would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:18 PM

You can download Windows 7 Home Premium Directly from Microsoft. The links are to "Retail" versions, however there is no difference between OEM and Retail Media since Windows Vista was released (Unless its OEM Branded install Disk). You may have trouble with online activation because of the version difference and key type. You can use the phone activation if online activation does not work. Since your not using the manufactures recovery dvd You will need to download the drivers for your computer and save them to USB or DVD before installing windows 7.    

Windows 7 Home Premium X64

Windows 7 Home Premium X86

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 10:03 AM

Thanks Chad for your help. I have another question. The Windows sticker on the PC states:

Windows 7 Home Prem OA

Acer Group

Just want to make sure I am covering everything. Would I still follow your original response, or does this change things?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:08 AM

OA = Original Equipment Activation. That means the original Windows 7 Home Premium installed by the Manufacture and activated using the Bios SLP from Acer. It doesn't change my previous instructions. You COA key will still activate Windows. The difference between a OA key and a "System Builder" or Non OEM branded license is when you use the matching Windows 7 Install media Windows is Activated Offline automatically. You will also find if you use a key scanner to extract the Windows key from an OEM OA install it won't match the sticker and if you try to use the extracted license key without the matching OEM install DVD it wont activate. 

Edited by Sneakycyber, 07 September 2013 - 11:10 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

Thanks again for the info. I found that I can order a recovery CD from emachine for this particular machine by using the SNID number. Its only $20.00. They say this will restore the PC to the state when it was purchased. I am assuming it will load the original Windows 7 and the other stuff that was on it at purchase of the PC. So, basically I would pop that puppy in and boot from it and let it roll. Does this sound right? If so, I would then have a cd for the future should I need it. Not worried about data like docs, pics, etc.. Let me know what you think.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users