Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP system repair virus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 janemundo

janemundo

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:55 PM

Hello!  I'm new to the forum, but have benefited in the past by using some of the tips I found here.

I can't open anything on my WIN 7 dell.  I have the system repair loop virus.  I had this earlier this year and got it off but now I can't even run in safe mode. We have our school and photo files on that computer. When I ran a system scan it said the hard drive test failed, error code 0146. Just ordered a back up hard drive in case of something like this, but this happened before it came in the mail.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by hamluis, 07 September 2013 - 09:55 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:20 PM

Disconnect all the attached devices, IE: USB keys/thumbdrives, router, wireless printer etc. and turn off your computer. Turn it on again and press & hold the “F8” key quickly before the Windows logo comes up. Select “Safe mode with networking” and hit Enter.

Once it boots, open System Configuration Utility from the Start> Run> type “msconfig” and click OK. In the System Configuration Utility window, click General> Selective Startup> uncheck the “Load Startup Items” box> Services> check the “Hide All Microsoft Services” box> Disable All> Apply> Ok. Restart your laptop when prompted.

If the issue has resolved, go back to System Configuration Utility window> General> click Normal Startup> OK> restart computer.

If the problem persists, run “chkdsk” utility to check and fix hard drive errors. Open Command Prompt and type “chkdsk /f /r C:” Hit Enter to proceed. When prompted, press “Y” to fix the errors. When done, restart your computer.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#3 janemundo

janemundo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:29 PM

I'm unable to run in safe mode with networking. When pressing f8, I can only get repair system to come up and can get to a command prompt that way. Sould I do the chkdsk that way?

#4 janemundo

janemundo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 04:52 PM

I typed in chkdsk /f/r C: and hit enter.  it says "The type of file systems is NTFS.

Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.  Chkdsk may run if this volume is dismounted first.  ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEM BE INVALID.  

Then it asks "Would you like to force a dismount on this volume?  Y/N"

WHat do I do?  It's so messed up, I'm afraid to pick tthe wrong thing!

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:05 PM

You can do it from a command prompt if you can run it as 'Administrator' ( Right click on 'Command prompt' in the start menu and choose 'Run as  administrator' ).

All you need to do is type 'chkdsk /r' (without the inverted commas). You should then get a message saying (more or less) 'Chkdsk cannot run on Drive C: because the drive is in use. Do you wish to run it the next time the computer starts?' 'Y / N' .  Type 'Y' and press enter, then re-start the computer. As soon as it starts, it will go into the Chkdsk routine - don't do any thing to the computer until it finishes running the routine.

Post back and tell us what it says as a report. Do NOT dismount the volume.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 janemundo

janemundo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks! But I did the chkdsk and it asked me if I wanted it checked next time. I said yes.

I restarted it, then it just went to the screen it has been going to. It says f10 to start normally, then something to enter setup, or something to do boot menu.
After that the next screen takes me to is launch repair or start normally.

What happened, and what has been happening, is if I choose start normally, the. It goes to the starting windows screen and does nothing. If I do launch startup repair, it goes into the fake system repair. I haven't tried that one today tho.

The chkdsk scan didn't run, because I choose start normally and it froze on the starting windows screen.

Hope that made sense.

#7 janemundo

janemundo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

Chkdsk doesn't run on startup because it either loops to the startup repair or freezes on the starting windows screen.

Please help.

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:39 PM

My version of the "safe way" to run Disk Check -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows Vista or Windws 7:
 • Click the Start button and select Computer

• Right-click on C:(or your main hard drive) and select Properties

• Click on the Tools tab

•  Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button and click Continue at the User Account Control prompt

• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

• Click on the Start button

• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer

• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Allow all 5 stages to complete as this needs a full check .........

This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours and your computer will reboot to normal when finished

Please do not force a reboot once the check starts as you can damage main files.

Thank You -

#9 janemundo

janemundo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:14 AM

Thank you, but I can't get to the start button.

When I start the computer I am given two options....one repair startup or two run normally. If I do repair startup, it loops into virus fake scan. If I do the other, it freezes on the starting windows screen.

#10 xXToffeeXx

xXToffeeXx

Bleepin' Polar Bear

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 6,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:22 AM

Thank you, but I can't get to the start button.

When I start the computer I am given two options....one repair startup or two run normally. If I do repair startup, it loops into virus fake scan. If I do the other, it freezes on the starting windows screen.

If you think it's a virus then you should make a topic here detailing your problem so that a member of the malware response team can help you. Malware help is not meant to be given here, just to let you know.

xXToffeeXx~

Edited by xXToffeeXx, 07 September 2013 - 05:23 AM.

~If I am helping you and you have not had a reply from me in two days, please send me a PM~

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic] - If we have helped you out and you want to support what we do, you can do so here

~Twitter~ | ~Malware Analyst at Emsisoft~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users