Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow logons and intermittent extreme slowdowns

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:39 AM

Windows 7 x86

4GB RAM

So I was helping a coworker diagnose some issues with his computer and scanned a few USB keys that I thought might be infected - I couldn't find anything. (Today I read how Stuxnet was transmitted and realized that those files wouldn't be detected by any scanner..so I'm very curious, maybe this was something similar).. The day I helped him (Tuesday), my computer was fine, as was the next day. I took yesterday off and when I came back today I was noticing things weren't running right. Logon became much longer and now I'm experiencing bouts of unresponsiveness. The mouse still works but I can't click on anything, windows become Not Responding but if I wait then things pick back up. There's no disk usage and CPU is pretty much idle all the time. I've tried checking out ProcMon but I'm still learning how to use it so nothing is sticking out yet... although there could be but I don't understand yet.

I'm running a quick MBAM scan right now and so far nothing is detected but I don't think anything will. This is very odd.

Some wierd symptoms - Opening Firefox, it takes forever to connect to Google (homepage).

Opening Notepad++ takes about 2 minutes (should be instant!)

I just don't know where to start looking, hoping to get a hand.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mrgodai

mrgodai

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:46 AM

are you using bit defender by any chance?

#3 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:53 AM

Funny you say that, I just switched to it last week. But things have been great until today.

#4 mrgodai

mrgodai

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

uninstall it. I have the same problem with 4 machines (out of 20) with it installed.

it seems the latest update causes system freeze when it scans network traffic.

Edited by mrgodai, 06 September 2013 - 11:01 AM.

#5 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:07 AM

I will try that after lunch and post back what I find. Hope that's all it is! Because wow this is very odd.

#6 RandomSkratch

RandomSkratch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:04 PM

Uninstalled it and everything is back to normal. That was very odd, thanks for the solution. I wouldn't have even thought that was the culpret. I hope they get it fixed soon as I liked that piece of software (didn't even know it was running it was so efficient..until today that is..)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users