Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen, BSOD, can't boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmgirl806

farmgirl806

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:02 AM

Hello.  I don't know for sure where to start.  I cannot boot a dell dimension 9200.  It will not boot to safe mode.  But I do have a spotmau disk that will get me to the desktop.  I have attempted a system repair but cannot do it  or a repair install because the hard drive did not boot so repair doesn't work.  I am seeing a message that the bootmanager is missing.  I went through the steps to rebuild the bootmanager but that did not fix it.  I earlier found a virus on this computer and got help at emisoft to get rid of it.  It was webcake.  The computer worked for about a day after that and now  nothing.  I have done a hard disk check and it says it passed.  The lights on the front of the computer are green and   1  2  3  are the diagnostic lights are lite in green.  There are no beeps when the computer tries to boot.  I am not sure if the computer is set to have minidumps but I will check all of that in a few minutes if I can.  The hard drive is making no noise.  Please help me.  I am working now from another computer and I do have a usb 2.0/sata ide that I could hook up to the hard drive and another computer.  My desktop has windows 7 home and the one that will not boot has windows 7 ultimate.  I do not have an install disk only the recovery.  The computer does have a valid key.  When booting from the cd there is an option for system utilities that I cannot get to work.  I am unable to download anything to the computer when booted with spotmau.  All of the fixes with spotmau have not worked either.    I am willing to by a windows install disk if that would solve the problem.  I don't want to loose files and programs if possible.  There are no restore points or backups on this computer.  I did change the cmos battery but I don't think that changed anything in the bios but really don't know.  I just changed it quickly and didn't hold in the power button.  If I just restart the computer I get the black screen and nothing happens.   I really hope someone can work with me and give me direction.  I am at a loss at what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:38 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps from Spotmau bootsuit.

:step1: Open a command prompt.

In Spotmau, command prompt can be accessed via Start menu --> Microsoft tools.

:step2: Rebuild the boot record.

Enter the below commands in the prompt one by one.

Bootrec /fixboot

Bootrec /fixmbr

:step3: Run Check disk.

Please run a "check disk" on all partitions ( one by one ) which can be browsed through the explorer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

If the above steps didn't helps, create a listPart log by following the below steps.

1. Download list parts from the below link.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/listparts/dl/77/

2. Copy the tool to a USB drive and run it from the boot disk. Select List BCD and press the scan button.

http://www.bleepstatic.com/download/screenshots/l/listparts/scanning.jpg

3. It will display a report in notepad. Copy it to the USB drive and attach with the next reply.

#3 farmgirl806

farmgirl806
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:20 PM

just want you to know I am working on this but chkdsk is running slow.  I will post as soon as I'm finished  Thanks

#4 farmgirl806

farmgirl806
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 02:52 PM

Attached File  Result.txt   3.99KB   2 downloads

ok , I did the boot fix and each said successful although in the command prompt it started out x:\windows\system is that correct or should I have changed to c drive.  Then check disk results should no errors or bad files.  Then I have attached the listpart log.  Sorry that took so long  Thanks

#5 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hi

Please try the below steps.

:step1: Create a system repair CD.

You can create a system repair disk from any working Windows machine. Please use your  working Desktop and follow instructions from the below link to create a system repair disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/2083-system-repair-disc-create.html

:step2: Run startup repair.

Boot from the CD and select the "reapir your computer" option then execute the "startup repair" option from there.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-repair-windows-7-system-installation-disc.htm

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

You may need to run "startup repair" two or three time to automatically fix boot issues.

#6 farmgirl806

farmgirl806
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

ok I did the startup repair 3 times but was unable to fix the boot problem.  Here are the startup repair logs that it showed.  Not sure you would want them but thought I would show you.

Startup repair Offline

Window was unable to repair this computer

Signature 01 : 6.1.7600.16385

02:  6.1.7600.16385

03:  unknown

04:  -1

05: External media

06:  1

07:  Missing Boot Manager

OS version 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Local ID:  1033

Then when I clicked on more details this is what it showed

Diagnosis and repair details

Session Details

system Disk= \device\harddisk\0

Windows directory= Auto Check Run = 0

Number of root causes = 1Test Performed

Name=Check for updates

Result= Completed successfully  Error code = 0x0

Time taken = 31ms

Test Performed

Name+ System Disk Check

Result = Completed Successfully  Error Code = 0x0

Time taken 16 ms

Test taken

Name = Disk Failure Diagnosis

Result = Completed Successfully  Error code 0x0

Time Taken 405 ms

Test taken

Disk Metadata test

Result Completed Successfully  Error code 0x0

Root cause found:  Boot manager is missing or corrupt

Repair action ; File Repair

Result: Failed  Error code = 0x15

Time taken 0 ms

Hope you can help me some more.  Thanks

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 02:42 AM

Hi

There are two possibilities in case of a BOOTMGR is missing message. 

1. BOOTMBGR is somehow deleted or get corrupted.

2. System is searching for the BOOTMGR file in the wrong partition. This is happened due to the wrong partition is marked as active in the partition table.

Please try the below steps.

Boot to the system using Spotmau Bootsuit.  Then open the C drive and check whether there is a file named BOOTMGR . If not, copy the BOOTMGR file from the root of boot CD to the root of C drive. If there is already a file, replace it . Now reboot the system and check whether it works. If not working, try rebuilding the BCD ( Boot Configuration Data).

Following nice video tut will explain the steps. It is originally meant for Vista butb the same applies to Windows 7.

#8 farmgirl806

farmgirl806
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 06:31 AM

hello, after working to complete this yesterday I have decided to take the computer to a repair center to  see if it is even worth saving.  I have no doubt that you could have advised me on how to fix but I think this is beyond me. So I want to thank you for helping me.  I have had many good experiences with the help at beeping computer and will be back again I am sure.  Please know I really appreciate the help you gave me.  So we can close this seesion and you will be free to help others.  Again  Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users