Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading ram

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stephenjones

stephenjones

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

So I have an hp desktop with a single 8gb 1600 stick(original that shipped with the unit). The unit is new so the mobo should be modern as it has a haswell i7 with 4 memory slots. Someone gave me 2  new corsair vengance 8 gb sticks (1600 speed as well). Should I be concerned about mixing the brands? And would there be a problem not spreading the ram evenly to occupy all the slots? What i mean is that most times people say if u have eg 4 slots then it should be 4 gb across each slot or 2 gb across each slot using them all up. Is it necessary to spread them evenly so as to use all the slots?

Also not relevant to my situation but what are your opinions on mixing like different sizes of ram. Like having a 4gb stick and then puttting in a 8gb stick for a total of 12gb.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:43 AM

In order to answer your question we need to know that make and model of this computer.

If it is a custom build we will need to know that make and model of the motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 stephenjones

stephenjones
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:10 AM

HP ENVY Phoenix 800-030qe Desktop -http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Desktops/HP-ENVY/D6M11AV

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:58 AM

The specs don't provide the specifics regarding your RAM modules.

http://filehippo.com/download_cpuz/

What you can do is download CPU-Z to see what the specifics are for your module, both a 1600, but what is the voltage?  Both should be the same.

Edited by dc3, 06 September 2013 - 10:58 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

In general..;.to obtain the benefits of dual-channel memory...you need two slots filled.

If the system only came with 1 module, I'd say that they didin't consider dual-channel as being a prime consderation...although all RAM options with that system are dual-channel, except for the one you selected.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users