Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I get minidump information for a BSOD error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 afroe

afroe

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

My husbands computer got a BSOD error. In searching for the error online, I see people posting specific information about their stop error. I can't find it on the laptop so that I can get help.

The OS is XP home. Please tell me where I should look for this file.

Also, please type slowly.

Thanks,
Arleen 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:37 AM

:welcome: to the Bleeping Computer forum.

In order to troubleshoot BSOD issues, we need mainly 3 log files. First one is the crash dump files saved by Windows when a BSOD happens. Second is a Speccy snapshot of your system and  thirdly event logs recorded by the Windows. Please follow the below steps.

:step1: Open C:\Windows\Minidump folder. Copy and  zip the entire contents of that folder and attach it with the next reply. If the file size is more than 512KB, then upload the zipped to any free file hosting site of your choice. 

Example file hosting sites :

Post the download link to the dumps in next reply.

:step2: A Speccy snapshot of your system

Generate a report about your system using Speccy by reading the guide below. Make sure to run the Speccy after running the system about one or more hour. This will give us an indication of current CPU -GPU temperature status.

Post the web link displayed by Speccy in next reply.

:step3: A Minitoolbox log

Download Minitoolbox from the below link.

Run the tool and only select the following tick boxes.

-List last 10 Event viewer errors
    -List installed programs
    -List devices
    -List users, partition and memory size

Now click "Go" and post the output in next reply

#3 afroe

afroe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 08:29 AM

I have to go to work right now, but I will do this when I get back. Thank you so much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users