Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Select proper boot device

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:06 AM

I bought a new HDD (WD3200LPVX 320GB Sata) for my laptop, i installed the OS and everything went well but after like 2 days when i started my computer it started showing the following message: "Select proper boot device and press any key".

I managed to finally start the computer after like 4 to 5 reboots, but today nothing works (5 minutes trying that "trick").

Edit: This problem happens aswell in my desktop with the same disk. Sometimes theres an error message when trying to start the pc, appears the pri master atapi cd rom etc... (It's like the screen before entering bios but this one just stays) the error says Third Master Disk Error, again it's a completely new disk.

I already searched a lot about this but nothing seems to work.

I acessed BIOS (American Megatrends 2.61)

-Boot order is set correctly: 1:Hard Disk 2:CD/DVD etc,,,

-In the ide configuration its set: Pri Master: ATAPI CD Rom ... Third Master: Hard Disk,

Pressing esc it gives us the option to select if we want to boot from HDD or from CD/DVD ROM my HDD from times to times disappears, so i thought leaving a CD(Windows Vista CD) in the computer to test if it would boot it up if i selected to boot from hdd and it did. Maybe it's because of the IDE Configuration?

Please help me this problem is quite annoying and seeing has i can't find a solution maybe you can help me out, thanks!

Edited by AlbinoGiant, 06 September 2013 - 07:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:02 AM

Please post the complete laptop model next time. Creating two topics would be confusing... Do you save the setups on priority boot? Do you see the drive on BIOS? ?Is the data and time correct? Have you tried replacing the CMOS battery?

Tekken

#3 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 11:54 AM

Asus F5 Entertainment System X50SL-AP315C. Yes i do save the setups on priority boot, yes in BIOS i can see the drive (In the ide configuration when i press enter on the Hard Disk it does have the model of the hdd i dont know if this is the correct way to see but it does show) and no i haven't tried to change the CMOS battery.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I presume that the laptop is on SATA..., is there any hard drive configuration to change in SATA mode? Loading default settings would clear the issue unless the saved settings are not holding due to a bad CMOS battery.

Tekken

#5 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:13 PM

Yes the laptop is on sata, and as far has i have checked there's no configuration. I have already tried using the load default settings it doesn't work, but it does hold settings, i changed somethings in BIOS saved the changes and then entered it once again and loaded the default settings then rebooted. acessed once again BIOS and it held the settings and still has them.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:22 PM

It seems that your hard drive is the problem at this point. Did you ran a diagnostic test by downloading from the manufacturing site the DOS bootable or Windows version?

Tekken

#7 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:58 AM

I have run the diagnostic and viewed the log and everything is ok. I noticed when searching for the tools that the hdd i have is sata II can it be compatibility issues, i searched and nothing was metioned about sata II being backwards compatible unlike sata III.

Edit: I don't know if this is going to be usefull but when i installed the OS after i made a partition and delivered it all the GB i had in the HDD it still showed Unpartitionated hard drive space maybe that is causing some problems, i don't know if it his helpfull but its better to put it out here we never know. And when i tried to repair the system it didn't show the OS and when trying to install a new OS the HDD didn't show up.

Edited by AlbinoGiant, 08 September 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

How many partitions were created? It seems that the problem is the system partition is not active. See this link on how to activate system partition using diskpart command. All SATA interface are compatible/backward and the difference is only in transfer speed.

Tekken

#9 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 07:44 PM

It created 2 partitions, i now remembered it said it the system would maybe create other partitions for file systems. Actually i had the C:/ partition as active and it wasn't booting so i tried setting D:\ which was the second partition created, system reserved, as active and it seemed to solve the issue but once i rebooted, it showed up once again, one hard restart after and it worked, so i did the same trick which was rebooting the system and there it was again. I did this today like half an hour ago XD

Edited by AlbinoGiant, 08 September 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:18 PM

Tried startup repair option in Vista already after running the diskpart - active?

Tekken

#11 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

No i didn't, i will do that later today and post here if it fixed the problem.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2013 - 08:33 PM

See this link also just in case regarding startup repair and diskpart http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/105541-startup-repair-run-3-separate-times.html

Tekken

#13 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:51 PM

Tried it it didn't work, i currently don't have the pc delivered it to where i bought the HDD so they can see what seems to be the problem.Tomorrow i should have the results that the technician got.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

Do you have any sd cards/reader/CDs attached or inserted? At any rate, let us know how the results went. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#15 AlbinoGiant

AlbinoGiant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

No i when tested i made sure that nothing but the hdd could be booted. And yes i will let you guys know the results

And thank you for the help u gave  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users