Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Know You're Only Supposed To Run One A/v, But..

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Eagle7

Eagle7

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:33 PM

Hello all,

Would like to get some opinions on something I heard the other day. I understand that we can have conflicts if we run more than one Antivirus at a time, but I heard that "ClamWin" Antivirus CAN be run alongside another A/V because it does not scan 'real time', but on demand only. This is a free, open source piece of software, I believe. Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:44 PM

You can indeed have more than one AV on your hard drive, as long as only one is active at a time giving you real time protection (consequently, be sure you understand how each operates and how to completely turn them off). However, it can happen that one AV will report the other's virus database or quarantine file, so you have to be very careful about the path shown for the malware reported.
If you want a "second opinion" AV, then there are many of these available on-line that will scan your computer, and without your having these on your hard drive. Quite frankly, though, I don't think you get much "bang for the buck" having multiple resident AVs.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users