Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Monitor Properties Now Screen is Black

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cubbies7

cubbies7

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

I did something dumb. The screen resolution on my Dell Latitude D830 was changed to 800x600 and it wouldn't allow me to change anything. I went into the advanced settings and on the troubleshoot tab I changed the driver settings because I am an idiot. As soon as I hit enter the screen went black and I couldn't get anything. I tried to connect to an external monitor, and it said the resolution was too low/high and another said output is out of range. I hard reset the computer and while plugged into my TV got the message:

RTC mode fixed - Time and date may be wrong
Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program
Time-of-day not set - please run SETUP program
Strike F1 key to continue, F2 to run setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

When I hit F1 it started Windows in either repair mode or normally. I did this and re-installed the driver from Dell, but when I restarted the computer it would freeze whenever it gets to the welcome screen. If I hit F2 after a hard reset it goes into the BIOS setup (I think is what it is) and when I exit that the screen goes black. When I hit F5 the screen goes black. I have no clue what to do. I was resigned to just re-installing Windows but I can't exit the BIOS after I changed the Boot menu to restart the computer to boot from CD drive. Sorry to be long, just wanted to be thorough. Thank you very much for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:00 AM

The Dell Latitude 830 is not supported for Windows 7. Is it a newly installed? What if you boot to F8 and enable VGA mode?

Tekken

#3 cubbies7

cubbies7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:06 AM

I installed Windows 7 about a year ago and haven't had issues with it really. When I hit that F8 function button it either says out of range or resolution too high/low. I don't know how to boot to that display though, is that possible?

It always boots to the laptop screen and I hit the F8 function after it has booted

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:30 AM

Tap F8 repeteadly upon first power up of laptop.

NIbW179.jpg

You can choose VGA or low resolution or undo the changes by going into safemode in windows.

Tekken

#5 wing987

wing987

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

The dell latitude d830 is not supported by windows 7, HOWEVER I have run it fine off those machines since 7 came out. But, the one lesson learned was to not mess with the chipset or the video drivers.

If I had seen you start that in person I would have immediately jumped in. HOWEVER, enabling the low-resolution video often helps, and once you can get the proper driver back in place without killing your screen I would make a note not to mess with those specific drivers. Please be careful as we had issues with the driver, even though it was the same driver that worked before, it often caused the screen to go out again. Dont lose hope, it may take several tries.

Note: on a system of 300 computers we had only 4 that we messed with the drivers before we learned to stop. Only one of those four never recovered after weeks of trying (3 techs). Although this isnt a large testing pool the current recovery rate is 75%, but when not touched the failure rate was non-existent for this problem.

Edited by wing987, 06 September 2013 - 01:54 PM.

-- Windows 7 Ultimate on custom built system, Windows 10 on under powered laptop. Sophos UTM 9, Ubuntu Server and Windows Server 2008 R2. HyperV Virtualization --

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality," John F. Kennedy

#6 cubbies7

cubbies7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

I was able to get into access windows through an external monitor and I went to the Dell website to update the video driver. When I restarted the computer after installing the driver Windows will not start. Now whenever I try and start it up it gets to the loading screen and freezes. No matter what I do. My question is can I replace the hard drive and install windows, will the laptop screen still be black? Is that kept somewhere else? Would I need to replace some other component? I am kinda over my head. 

Sorry for the delay, something important came up. (not as if anyone was anxiously awaiting my response) 

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:48 PM

The hard drive appears to be working, it's Windows that appears to be buggered.

First I'd try "Last known good"

then "System restore'

then "Startup repair" (from disc)

then "sfc /scannow" on the command prompt in safe mode

You did make system image discs didn't you? that will be your last option before you have to bite the bullet and re-install Windows and your drivers from scratch.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2013 - 02:00 AM

My question is can I replace the hard drive and install windows, will the laptop screen still be black?

A better free alternative to test your video hardware is use a bootable live linux disc (Puppy or Ubuntu) before making any purchase or replacement. While it is good to hear that externally the monitor works, it is safer to check if there is nothing wrong with the GPU/motherboard by using a linux disc and using the laptop screen to check.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users