Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Personal Settings Awol

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 olly986

olly986

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

hello to all of you computer experts and poor lost soul like me (needing serioussss help)

here is my problem

it seems that it all started when i register on line with a local web site (a fairy trusted one, the remote control car association of Ireland in fact) when this was done i switch my laptop off, a compaq presario V2120ea to be precise.
when i re started my laptop all my settings were missing and it install word and office 2000 on booting ever since,tell me that it cannot find my personal settings and start with temporary profile which go missing every time i switch off, at some stage my synaptic mousse went missing and everytime i use any key the keyboard would freeze and only by using an external usb keyboard i could use strokes to enter my password and hence get onto my laptop.

have run loads of different adware/spyware programs (just running adwarealert as i write in fact)

on different programs i am told that i have such virus as wmadz.exe, ccApp worms and trojan bazookabar and spyware.netvizor, i run my updated norton regularly and nothing is found, i also write everything i do as i go along but everything online programs find do not seem to be on my computer and the only way i will find out is to pay the 30/40 dollars to get their program to clean my laptop which in this instence run so far to 200 bucks (and that is not an issue specially since i just upgraded norton)

so far i am able to log on (keyboard and touchpad working) i can find most of my program in tha back ground, tha laptop still not loading my personal settings, for exemple itunes restart on every boot but my music is somewhere in my music folder and i need to import it everytime

the laptop do not keep any new settings but all new programs are saved.

i have being at it for the last 3 weeks and i am running out of idea, the other thing that happen on every start is this messages:

entrypoint FT-Exit 12 could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNELL32.dll
and
cannot import C:\ProgramFile\HPQ\DefaultSettings\FTXP.reg the specified file is not a registry script, you can import only registry files

i have run XP home again, in fact twice, reloaded all drivers and got rid of any crap, run scandisk, defrag and had a look in the registry, tried changing BIOS (version F13) but not too competent in there.

often i found ccApp coming back as a problem but can't find much about it except that norton use it

i think that the problem is before Windows start but how do i get into the Bios/registry before windows does.

well i hope i didn't bore you with my first thread but the more is said the easier it gets (apparently)

cheers, i am awaiting from you guys (and girls)

see ya

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:30 PM

Ok I did a search thru Google and Microsoft KB = No returns, not even a wooden nickel. From the look of reading it is my opinion that you might be infected. Are you running any anti-spyware, ad-aware, anit-malware programs. are you using a firewall can you give any info in this area?

Also I would suggest running a very neat program called Hijackthis and psot it to the forum listed below, it will take a while to get an answer but they are never wrong, well almost never from what I heard the last time they made a mistake Moses was leading the folks out of Egypt.

Download Hijack This from Merjin
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html

Go to the following to post your log file and it will be analyzed by a qualified tech

HijackThis Logs and Analysis
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

#3 olly986

olly986
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:52 PM

Thor on many occasion the hammer nearly went down on my poor laptop, thanks for your quick reply, as i said running adware alert as we speak, runned spywaredoctor, spybot, noadware and registry fix but most of them wants money and they say that they find something but its all different things.

firewall is norton, antivirus is norton also and i wasn't able to go back to a previous saved restore points first it would not work but after reinstalling XP i had none, adware alert just finished and no spyware found.

thanks

#4 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:14 PM

Well, I keep a hammer hung on my computer room wall and the computer does a lot better with it there.<G> For one thing the HijackThis is free and will give you a verification on just how good Norton is or is not. Personally I stopped using Norton years ago, just because since Peter left it has turned into an albatross. There are plenty of thing about there that will kill things in your system.

When your computer tells you things like

Quote from your first post

on different programs I am told that I have such virus as wmadz.exe, ccApp worms and trojan bazookabar and spyware.netvizor, i run my updated norton regularly and nothing is found,

End quote.

When you are told you are infected by other programs and Norton says not. I have a problem here and so should you. Please to the HijackThis and find out. Believe me these guys are good. One other thing there is better than Norton believe me.

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

Here is for your reading experience a little on Norton thru a Google search

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.p...a8318b2e8513212

Just click the link.. you will find a lot of dis-satisfied people.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:28 PM

Olly, please read this before you post a hijack log. It will save a lot of time and get you started off on the right foot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users